Saturday Sept 24th, Apple tree point

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Vtfishinglady
Species: Bass, Northern, Salmon

Saturday Sept 24th, Apple tree point

Post by Vtfishinglady »

We started this morning a bit late and got to Colchester reef around 8am. The fog was thick and got worse until around 1pm, and then started to clear up very slowly. We ran the radar when we were on plane to avoid other boats. It was a bit spooky out there trolling because sailboats would just appear out of seemingly nowhere. We trolled from Colchester reef to apple tree point in between 70 to 130' of water and lure depths between 15' to 65'. We caught 2 small 15" salmon right at apple tree point. Caught both salmon on the same lure around 50' down. The lure is half purple, half shiny copper and believe it's a crazy ivan. Also in that same area, we caught some really large yellow perch a little over a foot long (real fatties too). I caught one of them while jigging along the bottom in 95" of water with a swedish pimple. Never had a perch fight like that and it was way stronger than the small salmon. He also had a mouth full of small silver fish besides the pimple. Still hard to call it sporting with the gear we're using. So at least we caught Salmon.. It was a good day. Checked the water temp as low as I could go with my fish hawk TD on a diver and we got to 60 degrees at 65 feet, I assume those with downriggers can do better to get in the zone.

On our way home I saw a red topped boat around Colchester reef, wondered if that was Reelax. Also saw another fishing boat fishing deeper water than us, don't know what they were doing as the radio was silent.

Terri
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Re: Saturday Sept 24th, Apple tree point

Post by champlain fisher »

Nice day, those big fat yellow perch make nice fillet-o-fish sandwiches.
Salmon, the other pink meat.
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Thanks for the report...

Ask Crazy Ivan about fog, and hung over bartenders...

lol
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Salmoneye wrote:Thanks for the report...

lol
Sounds like a story that needs to be told.

Terri
bumpnrun
Species: salmon

Post by bumpnrun »

that was the bumpnrun, i was at the reef,i had a good friend and his boy we were fishing in 65 feet of water for perch, i caught some there fri , so i got them to go. we ended with all most a pail full of nice perch,BUMP.
Last edited by bumpnrun on Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Lav
Salmoneye
Species: Fish

Post by Salmoneye »

Vtfishinglady wrote:

lol

Terri
Good thing he was wearing his bright yellow rain pants :lol:
There was a young man from Nantucket...
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

bumpnrun wrote:that was the bumpnrun, i was at the reef,i had a good friend and his boy we were fishing in 65 feet of water for perch, i caught some there fri , so i got them to go. we ended with all most a pail full of nice perch,i will make a report about fri and sat.BUMP.
Glad to hear you had a good day Bump-N-Run.

Terri
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Salmoneye wrote:
Vtfishinglady wrote:

lol

Terri
Good thing he was wearing his bright yellow rain pants :lol:
And the mystery just gets deeper.

Terri
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Glad you got a few salmon Terri.
A couple weeks ago I had on a "Tiger Trout" that leaped straight up out of the water like it was a salmon!

Thanks for the report.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
4cs
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by 4cs »

Hey Terri

I'll have to get Todd to tell the whole story, I only remember parts of it but it's a pretty good story. LOL

That purple/copper tape spoon is the Purple Craze, after running it last fall for the first time and catching a bunch of salmon on it it is now one of my favorite spoons for this time of year.

Pat
Crazy Ivan Lures

http://www.crazyivanlures.com/

Eat, Sleep, Fish and then a Crown Royal
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Terri... Congrats on the salmon! How much line out to get the diver to 65'?
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Thanks Reelax,

To get to 65 feet I used the slide diver with a large size ring on it (purchased separately). The rings are sold for dipsy divers but they will fit on the slide diver, although a tight fit. I don't have my chart with me but for the slide diver it might have been 200' or so. The dipsy diver will actually go deeper with the weight centered and the large ring. I think the dipsy, weight centered, will do 88' with the large ring.

Terri
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Vtfishinglady wrote:Thanks Reelax,

To get to 65 feet I used the slide diver with a large size ring on it (purchased separately). The rings are sold for dipsy divers but they will fit on the slide diver, although a tight fit. I don't have my chart with me but for the slide diver it might have been 200' or so. The dipsy diver will actually go deeper with the weight centered and the large ring. I think the dipsy, weight centered, will do 88' with the large ring.

Terri
Good stuff
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Vtfishinglady

Post by Vtfishinglady »

Raz wrote:
Vtfishinglady wrote:Thanks Reelax,

Terri
Good stuff
Thanks Raz, that booklet called precision trolling, big game edition has every combination of diver and diver accessory (rings) and line types including wire. I have found it very useful. One thing I did notice when going deep, when measuring with the fishhawk td, is that you have to let it settle a bit because it does take a bit of time for it to plane down to deepest point after letting the line out.

Also, another cool thing that maybe most of you probably already know, is that we no longer put the reels in free spin to let line out and use spool tension to keep from going to fast. The dipsies have a tendency to tangle if let out too fast and spool tension just wasn't enough drag to let them out smoothly (very jerky). We now keep them in locked mode but use the drag, which is a much smoother way to let line out with some tension. Chris figured this one out (gotta give him credit sometimes).

Terri
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Good info. Even better that you picked a few up!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"