Why do we fish?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Why do we fish?

Post by pfu »

Over the last several months there appears to be less reporting and conversations. Let’s change it by describing why you fish. There is no right or wrong answer.

For me it is for pure fun regardless of what we catch. Can’t remember the last fish I brought home to eat. For many of us we have boats so we get to fish where others can’t. My goal has always been to bring folks out (family, work employees, and kids) on Lake Champlain who can’t do what we can at will. Over the years I believe I have been successful with kids catching a small Lake Trout and parents, friends and others catching up to a 15# Lake Trout. I have set many lines and others have reeled in many more than me which I find super satisfying.

Would I prefer catching a nice Salmon? Absolutely but catching is better than a slow boat ride. A smiling child with wide open eyes can’t be topped. Picture are forever. Fishing with my sons, grandkids, father, brother in law and nephews is a blast regardless of what is on the end of the line. The challenge always remains to catch and release safely the biggest.

Why do you fish?
TUnamas

Re: Why do we fish?

Post by TUnamas »

Robert Montgomery wrote about it: https://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Fish-Wisd ... 1935254782

But for me?: I hate sitting on a beach. I need something to do. Fishing puts me in beautiful settings, and I'm active. There's a bit of science to it too. Water temps, currents, graphing, it's all active. I've been tying flies and flyfishing most of my life. Understanding what is happening helps the odds, and I love the challenge. There's physicality too. I love nothing more than pulling hard on big tuna. So how can I explain my passion when I enjoy blue water tuna so much yet I'd be happy flipping a 1/2 perch under a bobber for bowfin or an egg pattern for steelhead or a nymph for brookies in a small stream or dragging spoons for salmon? As a boat owner, like you, I love seeing newcomers get hooked up. But even without others, I'll do it alone. I spend many days without the boat in the streams and rivers, or fishing the surf from the beach. Personally, I love the environment and becoming a participant in it. Whether an 8" brookie in a small stream or a 250 tuna in the blue, it's a game I want to play! Candidly, I also enjoy spending times with those who think like me. I have many memorable crews and friends developed on the water over the years. At the end of the day, the opportunity to be in great settings watching "the bobber drop" (whatever the scale) is worthwhile, and sharing that with friends is gravy!
wyattsflys
Species: Salmon

Post by wyattsflys »

I fish for the love of the tug. LLS are my favorite!
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

I fish for the love of the jumps be it steelhead, Atlantic Salmon or any salmon or sailfish & the fight these fish preform to escape to grow bigger to enhance their species
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I fish for the challenge and to feel the pull. I troll salmon because they are such great fighters and jump so often. I troll with a crew for the good times, great stories and special memories from such great Fisherman. I feel blessed to have such a great fishing resource so close to home. It is easy to take what we have for granted.

Fish on!
Matt B
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

I got to say it's mostly about the social aspect for me, and the inevitable memories made with the people your out with.

I have taken a ton of kids out on the water, from straight up beginners to experienced ones. Goes with the territory of having a big family, and starting a school fishing team. I can tell you for certain that when I've got a big fish on, it fun and exciting. However when a kid gets a big fish on, I am much more emotionally invested. By the end of the fight, and after the release of the fish, often times I'm shaking. Doesn't happen when the fish is mine.

If I didn't have anybody to go with, I might be wrenching in my garage instead.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Jack - I commend and respect everything you've done with your boys and the high school kids, but I break when you say that in lieu of fishing alone you'd be wrenching. While I fish with others and revel and support in the group atmosphere, sometimes I fish simply because I need time alone. Sometimes it's on the trolling boat, but more often it's just an escape with the fly rods!