PB Chrome

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

PB Chrome

Post by Dilly Worm »

After a very unproductive LCI Derby with the waves making my daughter sick, I headed out solo in the rowboat early this morning.

The lake was smooth as glass, the sky was clear, and there was just 1 other fisherman at the launch. Very quiet unlike a week ago. Surface temp was about 62 and I sent down a FishHawk TD just clipping it to a lead core line and lowering it down. It was something like 55F at 25', 47F at 35', and 43F at 40'. Seems like the south Lake stratified quickly after all the wind finally stopped. So I set out 4 colors of lead on an inline planer board and 6 colors straight off the stern and rowed north. Sonar kept showing bait balls around 25 to 35 feet and a few big marks, but no bites for the 1st hour.

The first bite of the day hit the rainbow trout speedy shiner that was on the planer board. It wasn't pulling all that hard and it wasn't until disconnecting the planer that I saw something big jumping way out of the water 150 feet away and realized this was a good one ! The fish dove hard three times at the boat - I think it was looking for an outboard prop to tangle the line in - sorry, no prop on this boat. Turned out to be a beautiful steelhead with no lamprey marks, 6lb 6oz for a new PB.

Right after that, I tried putting the line back in but when I went to attach the planer something was already tugging on the line. That turned out to be a laker a little over 3 pounds.

No other fish for the rest of the morning, got out by 9 before it got too hot for this sort of activity (and my 1/2 gallon water jug leaked so I had zero water to drink, wasn't going to risk dehydration after a nice fish like that).
Attachments
steelie-1.jpg
steelie-1.jpg (146.46 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
video-still-steelie.jpg
video-still-steelie.jpg (44.04 KiB) Viewed 2000 times
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Re: PB Chrome

Post by ATLSALMON »

That is one beautiful steelhead
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Talk about earning a trophy with hard work and dedication.

That is an awesome chunk of chrome!

Great read Dilly… really enjoyed the detail of the fight!
Matt B
striper192001
Species: salmon

Post by striper192001 »

I am super impressed how you can troll with manual propulsion.......awesome job and awesome fish !
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Such a pretty fish. Absolutely beautiful....Congratulations!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Nice fish. Worth the trip.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Way to go, Dilly! That's a beautiful fish. Congratulations on that hard-earned trophy.
Pcraft237
Species: All

Post by Pcraft237 »

Real nice fish and a great post. Thanks
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice catch Meddie. You're doing better than most of us :D
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Dude! That fish is like something out of a magazine, or a fishing show from the great lakes. James and I were taking about it before the little troll last Sunday, and your fish played a role in getting us all out on the water to try to find our own. We didn't, but, it was a nice relaxing morning picking away at lakers for Liam an I.

I keep saying it, and its still true. We've never boated one.

And to the possible future cold water fisherman like I once was, who was trying to learn how reading these forums, thinking I didn't have the gear to catch a fish like this: He caught it with 1 rod with leadcore line, 1 spoon, in a rowboat. I mean, that's some Tony Stark building his first Ironman suit out of scrap in a cave with a blowtorch stuff right there. Nice job man.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

Thanks for the nice comments !

Really, trolling in a rowboat isn't as hard as it might seem. No need to figure out how to work or fix motors, downriggers, etc. for one thing. And maybe it spooks the fish less, being quiet.

Its a good time for me to say thanks to everyone on LCU who's helped so much with all the helpful advice and knowledge about coldwater fishing. This is a great site with friendly fisherman who help each other out all the time.

I've adapted a lot of what I've learned from everyone so it works with the rowboat, and I'm thinking of starting a "nonmotorized trolling" thread in the Trout and Salmon Tactics board to share techniques with others who are interested and have figured out their own methods... once I can get organized...
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Beautiful!
FishDR
Species: Salmon

Post by FishDR »

Pretty Steelhead! And great story!
TruViking