Lake trout tracking study

Share info on fishing Champlain.
mhf (Matt)
Species: Trout, salmon, perch, bass

Lake trout tracking study

Post by mhf (Matt) »

Hi everyone. My name is Matt Futia and I'm a graduate student at UVM researching lake trout with Dr. Ellen Marsden. We've been placing small, black tracking devices in the body cavity of lake trout in Lake Champlain to study their movement and habitat use throughout the lake. All of the fish we are tracking are also marked with an external ID tag that is either a pink tag coming out from the belly or a green tag by the dorsal fin. If you catch one of these tagged fish, please consider releasing it so we can continue our study. If you decide to harvest the fish, please let us know the ID number on the external tag and hold onto the black internal device so we can retrieve it. You can reach me to report a harvested fish by email at fishtag@uvm.edu. Thanks for your help and good luck on the water!
Attachments
External ID tag
External ID tag
20211104_113147.jpg (114.53 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Tracking device size
Tracking device size
transmitter_scale.png (547.41 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
mhf (Matt)
Species: Trout, salmon, perch, bass

Re: Lake trout tracking study

Post by mhf (Matt) »

Hi Folks,

I’ll be talking about what we've learned so far from this lake trout tracking study at a virtual webinar held by Sea Grant next Wednesday from 12-1pm. The webinar will be on Zoom and is open to the public if you’re interested in attending. I'll give a 30 minute presentation followed by 30 minutes for questions.

The website link below will take you to the Sea Grant page with more info. There’s also a link at this site where you can register for the webinar and receive a Zoom link to the meeting. Feel free to share this link with anyone else who you think may want to join.

https://www.uvm.edu/seagrant/programs/e ... ked-adult

- Matt
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Re: Lake trout tracking study

Post by Cas »

Looking forward to hear what you have to say, thanks for letting us know.
________
Mike