Thursday Afternoon Report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Thursday Afternoon Report

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Organized my day so I could fish this afternoon/evening.

Launched at Converse again and started a little north of Thompsons. Loons were present and there was bait -- not nearly as concentrated as Tuesday. Surface temps were around 40 degrees near Thompson's and almost 44 degrees off the Mansion.

Trolled almost two hours before the first strike. I had just checked the baits and was deciding which stick bait to swap on the cheater. As I reached for the new pin minnow, a fish whacked the CI SGM. That spoon was about 12 down and 50 feet off the transom.

Released the cheater and grabbed the rod. Then the other rod fired. Double header! Landed both -- lakers around 25 inches. Second fish took the purple rainbow trout pin minnow about 30 down.

Decided I had been presenting baits a little too deep. Re-set one rod with the spoon at 35 and the cheater at 20.

Next pass, nabbed a third fish on a blue pin minnow at 35 feet.

After that, things were quiet for a couple hours. Switched colors every 20 minutes. Set the rigs deeper for a while. Then set them a little shallower.

Slowly worked north of Thompsons. Found another bait ball near some loons. Nobody appeared to be home and it was 7:30 by that point. Grabbed a rod and cranked to the cheater. Slipped the cheater off and the rod doubled over. Good fish about 30 inches. That one took a CI Green Mtn Boy. Again, that bait was about 12 down and 50 feet off the transom.

In hindsight, I should have swapped one rod with a 3-color leadcore. Next time...
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Thursday Afternoon Report

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Looks like lots of waiting time, but then a fire drill to keep you alert.
Nice report.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)