Afternoon Report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Afternoon Report

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

Was able to fish for a few hours this afternoon. Since time was short, I decided to launch at Converse and target lakers.

On Sunday, I took the wife and some friends on a cocktail cruise. While puttering around, I found some massive bait balls between Diamond Island and Thompson's Point. The concentration seemed to be in fairly deep water -- say 280 to 400 FOW.

I figure where there's feed, there's fish. So, today I made a quick run to Thompson's and set both rods with my typical spread -- a CI spoon off a torpedo diver with a stickbait on a fixed cheater 15 feet above. Covered the water column between 35 feet and 55 feet.

A few minutes in, both rods fired. Landed both Lakers -- one in the high teens and one in the mid-twenties. Silver pin minnow and a CI Split Rock.

Continued south and saw bait pretty much everywhere. Plenty of marks hovering above. But, the strikes were few and far between.

Landed the third fish on a purple rainbow trout (I think that's what it's called) pin minnow near "The Ridge."

Found warm water and bait galore as I approached Diamond Island. But, I didn't stick #4 until I passed Diamond and the temp dropped 7 degrees. Go figure. That fish also took the purple rainbow trout pin minnow.

Turned and started north. Had some difficulty maintaining speed with the freshening breeze so I started tacking ENE and WNW. Ventured into shallower water and hooked #5 while in a sharp turn. The trolling motor didn't keep the boat on course so I put the rod in the holder and made a few adjustments. The fish was gone when I picked the rod back up. No worries, everybody got released today.

Pretty sure that fish was on a CI Measles -- a fish on a cheater really makes the rod bounce while the torpedo diver dampens the fight of anything that bites the spoon.

Continued north and switched stickbaits a couple times. Ditto for spoons. Didn't get any more strikes and pulled the lines a little after 6 PM.

I did drop baits as deep as 65 feet. But never had a strike below 50.

The water has remained stubbornly cold. Most areas were 37 to 39 degrees. Saw 46 degrees (due to Otter Creek) just north of Diamond.

When things line up, I think the fishing will be great. I can't believe how concentrated the bait is.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Afternoon Report

Post by Reelax »

Still awfully cold temps. Hard to believe it’s May and we are still seeing surface under 40deg in many areas. I’m gonna go rinse off my boat on Friday, been a while.

Fish on!
Matt B
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for the report Matt. I am anxious to get back out on the Lake. I'm hoping the weather cooperates at least one of the weekend days!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report. Good news you're seeing large bait concentrations.
You landed some pretty big lakers, it's awesome.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
saltr
Species: LLS

Post by saltr »

Thanks for the report. As a side note, I have also seen those massive bait balls or something in deep water around nothwest bay and westport up to diamond island. It appears to usually stick to the bottom and extend upward. My camera only has 50' of cable,otherwise I would have checked it out. Always have been curious as to what I was marking. Maybe CHAMP bait.????
BlackDucks&BrownDogs
Species: All!

Post by BlackDucks&BrownDogs »

I occasionally see that too. Not sure what causes it, but I don't think it's bait.

I adjust gain and cone angle (low frequency, wide cone) until it disappears.
Nysrx01
Species: Trout

Post by Nysrx01 »

Here is a screen shot of the same bait ball of alewives in 2 d then Down image with fish reveal in 60 ft of water. I have had the same look in 2d on bottom and then with the down image it will show up as tree top or something. With just 2d it is sometimes hard to decipher. The Down Image you can just about see each individual bait fish. On the 2d that clutter on top is where I crossed a boats path after he went in from of me. It’s the turbulence from his prop.of course the straight horizontal lines are my downriggers.
Attachments
02CCC905-C203-45C7-A428-AE946E871270.jpeg
02CCC905-C203-45C7-A428-AE946E871270.jpeg (184.71 KiB) Viewed 787 times
152845BA-16DB-4563-A478-A4795771FD84.jpeg
152845BA-16DB-4563-A478-A4795771FD84.jpeg (189.52 KiB) Viewed 787 times