DYP- Save the date

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

DYP- Save the date

Post by Greenhorn »

DYP 2022 Are you ready!

I wanted to give everybody a heads up. I am planning the DYP for Saturday, May 21st with a blow date of Sunday, May 22nd. Once I have the official approval for the derby from Fish and game, I will put out a post for the sign up. Same rules as last year.
- Enter with a boat or without a boat. We will pair up teams in a drawing. Tentative drawing date; May 11th.
- Like last year, if you have children under 16, you can enter as a family team. You can bring multiple children, but only 4 rods can be in play.
- You can launch anywhere on Lake Champlain that you want. Weight in will be at 2:00 at the Converse Bay launch. You must be at the launch at 2:00 to have your fish weighed.
- There will be a pot luck BBQ after the weight in. Please bring something to share and mingle with the highly knowledgable fishermen in the derby.
There isn't a better group of guys to talk to about fishing on Champlain.
- I will come up with some sort of door prize for those of you that want to stay for the BBQ.

Kevin (Amfishfil Thinking) likes the look of the plaque on the wall at his house. He is pulling out all the stops and his wife is planning to sign up for the derby with the intent of having her name on the plaque for 2022! Game on!!!! Dean (Homewrecker) won't easily give up the plaque either. Who will bring home the highly coveted DYP plaque this year?

The competition is amazing. I am heading out tomorrow to get some practice in! :D

Jeff (Greenhorn)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: DYP- Save the date

Post by Reelax »

It’s on!

Thanks Jeff!!!
Matt B
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Awesome!
Looking Forward to it for Sure.
Jeff,
I could chip in a few items for "Door Prizes," new spools of Lead, Mono or Floro.... or all three, additionally I have Some random Lures still in their packages. I could probably toss in a Diver as well. Let me know, I would be happy to donate to the cause.

Thanks again to every person who makes this Website Unique and coveted!

Best,
Ej(TruViking)
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Awesome, thanks EJ. Yes, it would be great to have additional door prizes for DYP participants, thank you. We can get touch base my PM and decide what you would like to offer. It is all part of the planning process!!
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

Greenhorn wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:16 pm Awesome, thanks EJ. Yes, it would be great to have additional door prizes for DYP participants, thank you. We can get touch base my PM and decide what you would like to offer. It is all part of the planning process!!
Ok. I will Gather up some Goodies and send you some pics through a PM.

if it would help, i could ship them to you beforehand.
Thanks for Coordinating this Derby! Gotta Love The many spring time derbies available this time of year.. :D :geek: :D

Best,
Ej(TruViking)
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Decisions, decisions. Attend my son's (perchbait) college graduation or fish the DYP? Hmmm.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year. Good luck to all participants!
TruViking

Post by TruViking »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Crayfish wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 am Decisions, decisions. Attend my son's (perchbait) college graduation or fish the DYP? Hmmm.

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this year. Good luck to all participants!
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Yes, I think it does look really good right where it is. Made some improvements this year to the boat including a mast and planner boards. Tried them out for the first time in Bulwagga on Saturday and hit silver. Thanks for all the tips to my partner Dean. I'm going to do a boat entry this year. Game on!!! Don't worry, I will bring the plaque with me. I'd love to bring it on the boat for a ride, but my luck, it will end up like one of my line counting poles did on Saturday, at the bottom. Best leave it in the truck. lol
Attachments
DYP Plaque.jpg
DYP Plaque.jpg (38.57 KiB) Viewed 1530 times
FishPole Thinking
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

Game on Anglers take it if you can. Confidence is high for a repeat. So bring your A+ game!
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Question on rules of family team- My 11 year old son (Brown Trout) and I want to enter together as a family team. My wife says she now does not feel comfortable on someone else's boat. She just wants to drive the boat for us father and son team. Is that allowed to have a family member boat driver?
FishPole Thinking
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

- Like last year, if you have children under 16, you can enter as a family team. You can bring multiple children, but only 4 rods can be in play.
Jeff put this rule in place last year. I have a feeling it was mostly for the sake of The Country Angler, maybe Dilly Worm, TruViking, and maybe even you, since we all have young kids who want to participate. The 4 rods in play limit keeps the playing field even. I'm sure Jeff will respond as well.

I want to thank you Jeff, and everyone else who has added input to making this little piece of the derby a reality. Kids often do not get treated as equals in events like this, and I can tell you that for some of them, it is a very big deal.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Great Reply Jack. Yes, the key is that only 4 rods can be in play per team. Under this rule, you can fish as a family and have more than two people on the boat. I do want to keep in mind that the spirit of the derby is to pair up people that may not have met before for a day of fishing, learning, and story telling. Kevin, I understand why it might be uncomfortable for your wife to jump on a strangers boat for a day of fishing and I am super happy that we will have a woman join the fleet for the DYP. I don't know how avid of a fisherwoman she is, but if she can work up the courage to give another boat a try, she will meet a friendly, knowledgable fisherman and will likely pick up a new friend and some valuable fishing tips. Either way, I am happy to welcome her to the DYP!

Still waiting for confirmation on the date from Fish and Game. If I don't hear by next week, I will post the sign up anyways so we can draw the teams in time for a practice trip for the teams (if they choose) before the DYP date.

Bring your A game as Dean and Kevin are determined to repeat and retain the plaques..... :D

Jeff
Larmor
Species: Salmon

Post by Larmor »

What is the entry fee.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Larmor wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:16 am What is the entry fee.
It is FREE
Matt B
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Yes, this is just a fun derby with a bunch of fellow fishermen that like to get together and catch fish! You will not find a better event to learn about fishing for Lake Champlain Salmon. I will be posting the sign up sheet in the next day or two.

Jeff