Lowrance Cable Steer Autopilot Help

Share info on fishing Champlain.
D-Cypher
Species: Lake Trout

Lowrance Cable Steer Autopilot Help

Post by D-Cypher »

Good Morning. Wondering if anyone has any experience commissioning the Lowrance Cable Steer Autopilot.

I installed one on my boat last year and never got it working right. I have been through the commissioning steps several times and every time I hit the hold heading button the boat turns hard to port, then hard to starboard, and back to hard port, it will continue this cycle indefinitely. I can't help but feel I'm missing some setting somewhere. I've tried the tech support route a couple times and it is terrible. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Lowrance Cable Steer Autopilot Help

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Did you calibrate the Point-1AP?
Did you install the NMEA2000 network?
Under Network-Source-Gps what do you see?
D-Cypher

Post by D-Cypher »

Yes I calibrated the point-1 AP a few times. I installed the network and can see all devices. I believe I have the HDS 7 selected for GPS, but will need to verify.
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

If your HDS 7 is an older "GEN 2" version , make sure you have the most current update installed. My unit is set to "Point 1 AP" for the " position". Also, you don't say whether or not you are on the water and moving when you have the problem. My Point 1 a/p needs to be in motion to provide an accurate reading. Otherwise it will hunt for the direction. If you are doing your test on land, try using the Port and Starboard turn commands. If these work, then your unit is probably fine and you should try it on the water at low speed. While not as slick as the Hydraulic systems, these units work pretty well once you get it going. Good luck
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Wallyandre (Andre)

Be sure that the Point-1 is use for heading and not the hds and already mention be sure you are running the hds on the latest sogtware.
Also be sure there is no magnetic field around the ap. When you calibrate the point1 do you have the message calibration done or something like this?
Under network-source-gps and look for heading and also under nac1 if I remember well
D-Cypher

Post by D-Cypher »

I am having this issue while on the water and in motion, I can steer the motor with the HDS just fine but it just doesn't maintain direction. When I originally set it up and it was doing this I had thought it was because of the bow mounted trolling motor being too close to the Point-1, so I removed the motor. I also have gotten the "Done" message after calibration.

The HDS is brand new last year. I will check to make sure I have the Point-1 selected for the heading and will check the software before I get on the lake with it.

Thanks for the advice!
D-Cypher

Post by D-Cypher »

Was out with the boat today, verified settings, software is up to date. Re commissioned the autopilot and still I am having issues. I feel like I just need to pay someone to make it right. Is there anyone around who works on these things?

I can't believe I am having this much of an issue, I literally work on power electronics and networking them for a living! To say I am frustrated is an understatement!!
Wallyandre (Andre)

You mentionne that the hds 7 is new from last year?
Another thing is to look under network-source-gps. Did you choose Point-1 ap?
Under network devices list what do you see?
If you position the point1 on the bow or near the bow it's not the best
Is your network exactly has on the pic?
10FC8229-F072-4C09-BE57-3A349782AA3B.jpeg
10FC8229-F072-4C09-BE57-3A349782AA3B.jpeg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Wallyandre (Andre)

I'm going to be in Port Kent starting May 15th so if you can come and meet me I'll be glad to take a look
D-Cypher

Post by D-Cypher »

Yes, I did choose the point 1. Under network devices I see them all, the point 1 the virtual rudder feedback the nac-1, etc., the point 1 is mounted to the bow, but I would be happy to change it. Should it be in the middle of the boat someplace? I would welcome the help. I'm in central Vermont. The easiest way for me to get to Port Kent would be by boat if we could make that work.

Thank you
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

D-cypher,

If you have a "cable-steer" boat, I believe you should be using the "Rudder feedback" option, not the " Virtual rudder feed back" option which is for Hydraulic steering. ( see attached). Double check with Andre when you see him.

Good luck,

Jack
Attachments
Scan_20220503.jpg
Scan_20220503.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Wallyandre (Andre)

In the helm there is a integrated rudder feedback so you could try by enable the rudder feedback but I don't think it's the problem. I suspect a nac1 computer defective or a helm that is defective.
Did you try to contact Lowrance CS?