Tablet for Navionics

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Tablet for Navionics

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Don suggested the velcro that bridged the two units together and stabilized the tablet using the HDS-7 as a base. I remove the tablet after every trip and keep it in the truck. If exposed to the hot sun it will shutdown. So I don't think it would be a good idea to run it without the shade of the Bimini top. Same thing if it's below 40F for too long. I keep it in the truck until I am ready to use it with the heat on in the cabin. It's worked really well with the velcro to stabilize it when running in waves.

Too many waypoints your right! I find waypoints are good in the moment when locating fish for that day. But I like to do housekeeping and clear them all every 3-4 months. Same thing in Ontario. I only keep a few as starter points there. The salmon move so quickly they are likely someplace else after a big wind or even the next day chasing bait balls.

Good idea Matt on the use of a filter for sun.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Nice setup Ron!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I appreciate all of the feedback, guys. Got some shopping to do! I'm looking at some cheap ones on Amazon ... I'll have to make sure I can get a filter for whatever I get to make sure I can read it in the sun.

Thanks!
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Samsung Galaxy active pro for me 9 or 10". Ipx7? Maybe waterproof? 30 min under water 6 feet down or something. Ram mount with integrated charging port. Works good with some complaints.

Much dimmer than my fish finder, but useable with brightness cranked.

Even plugged in, while running active captain and the brightness up, the battery slowly goes down. Uses a lot of juice running it that way.

Syncing and stuff with the echomap units can be confusing sometimes.

Being android, you can run mercury Bluetooth software stuff as well. Maybe you can with apple as well, I don't know. I run vessel view mobile on strike three. On the country angler, I have to take the cowl off and look at a big carburetor.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

And if you leave it roasting in the direct sun like when your bass fishing with no wind blowing in it, it will overheat and shut down.

I'm not saying don't get it or get it, just telling you my experience. I'd buy this one again I think, but I'd look at what other guys are running too.

Jack
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Thanks for the feedback, Jack. I'm looking at maybe a Samsung Tab A, or something along those lines. There are some cheap Amazon Fires, too, but I have no idea how bright they are or how long the battery will last. The Samsung is supposed to have up to 13hrs of battery life. I'm sure that will be cut in half with the brightness cranked. My wife was all for it so we'd have another portable tablet to use when it's not on the boat .... so that's a plus!
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I got mine off of eBay new a year or so ago, it was about 400 I think. Make sure you get one with a built in gps, some only get their location when they have service or something. I don't really remember. This thing is basically a giant phone without a sim card. Which you can put in if you want, but you can still call 911 without the sim. Figured that couldnt hurt on the water either. I'll see if I can find out what I bought.

Jack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

I guess it was Amazon. The seller I bought it from says it's currently unavailable. But, here's the description of what it is. Maybe you can read about it online.

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active PRO 10.1" | 64GB LTE & WiFi Water-Resistant Rugged Tablet, SM-T545 Factory Unlocked International Version (GSM Only not CDMA)

Jack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Pshh, I guess you can still get it through Amazon, but they've upped the price to 575. Great. Put that in the same boat as food, gas, and all of the electronics and trolling motor I bought last year. Identical equipment now that I bought a year ago is literally thousands more. No upgrades.

Jack
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Crazy. Thanks for the info!