Downrigger reel line

Share info on fishing Champlain.
striper192001
Species: salmon

Downrigger reel line

Post by striper192001 »

Hey guys,

I need to load some new reels for downrigger use. Only fish Champlain and not Ontario. What do you like for line ?

Thanks
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Downrigger reel line

Post by Detritus »

Most of the line on your downrigger rod will never be used in Champlain except the last 200 feet. And that last 200 feet will change throughout the season because of the fleas.

There's lots of options, and different guys use different stuff, but our typical rigger rod setup is about 300 yd of 65lb braid as a backer. Braid has no memory, and we chose yellow as the color to mark them as rigger rods, easily grabbed out of the pile of other rods. The 65 lb diameter matches 20 lb mono which line counters on the reels are calibrated for, (okuma Coldwater size 30). Always run a full reel if you're using the counters.

Then we'll use about 200 ft of 20 lb mono, usually Berkeley big game because it's tough and cheap. Then a 15 lb 100% flourocarbon leader, usually 15 or 20 feet. Lots of guys run lighter leaders for lower visibility by the fish, and more action on their lures, but the lighter you go, the more breakoffs you will have. I hate breakoffs, and I can't remember the last time we broke off with 15 lb flouro.

As the fleas show up as the water warms, you'll need to swap that 20 lb out for a much heavier line, which is no fun because of the difficulty with knots, memory, and wicked blowback. But it's either that, or feet of unremoveable cottony slime on your lines. We run 40 lb Berkeley big game in place of the 20 lb, same backer, same leader.

A spool knot as tight as you can, and a little piece of tape from braid to spool so the spool doesn't spin inside the braid, FG knot from braid to mono, double uni from mono to flouro, 7 wrap improved clinch knot to lure.

It was nice hanging out the other day. See you out there.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Thanks for the info Jack........guess I am impatient. I have the small Coldwaters...CW-153D. I dropped them off to be loaded with 14lb Trilene. I bought them to match to a Daiwa 7 foot ML downrigger rod primarily as my rod storage in the boat only accepts 7 foot long rods.
Thanks also for the info on the knots as my knot knowledge is limited........lol
I was wondering what to do when fleas show up.........I may even get another set of reels....
You gave me a wealth of information the other day and I appreciate it. I have all my notes typed up for later. I am also looking at the Mercury Troll control. Need some decent weather so I can get the winter cover off the boat and see what Ram system I need to order.
Thanks again !
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Fleas have been showing up in the late spring, and stay for the summer, sometimes into the early fall. But, different years seem to yield different amounts of them, like all of the other invasives. They're mainly a problem with small diameter vertical lines travelling through the water. Like less than 30 lb mono fishing line attached to a downrigger for example.

We also started using wire on our dipsey rods with a twilly tip last year. Those collect fleas as well, but when retrieving the rig, the wire cuts through the fleas like a chainsaw through rotten wood. I thought about using those rods on the riggers, but, I don't much like the pinch pad style releases you'd have to use with wire.

Unfortunately, with 15 lb mono, youre probably going to run into flea problems sooner or later. File this thread in the back of your mind if you do. But really, it's just an excuse to buy more rods. That way you can set up flea rods, and use the others for early spring, fall, and winter.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Yeah.........I have dealt with the fleas previously.......sounds like I need more rods...lol
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

With those small reels, 14lb will work just fine. I use 12lb on a small Sealine and 17lb on my bigger reels ... all Trilene XL. I like using the heavier line as it doesn't get beat up by the rigger releases as bad as the smaller stuff does. I use 6' 10lb flouro leaders, connected to the mainline with a small Spro swivel, then just a small clip on the end of the leader for lure attachment.

I add 100' of 40lb Biggame when the fleas show up. I fish a lot in the Inland Sea, so the fleas are less of an issue there. I can get away with my regular setups all season. The broad lake, however, will require 40lb + to help keep the fleas off.
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Hi Crayfish, Does that Spro swivel go through the eyelets of the rod? If so, what size is it ? I have heard about that setup and like the sound of it. What rigger release do you like......? Thanks
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Yes, the Spro swivels will easily go through the eyes but the way I have mine setup they will rarely ever need to. I think I'm using the 40lb size, can't remember what size that is. I try to keep my leader length such the main line is past the rod tip when the rod is stored. That way I don't have to worry about the lighter leader getting banged up on the tip.

You'll get better lure action with this setup than you will with a snap swivel.

Good luck!