First Solo Frostbite Trip

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
stubborn1vt
Species: panfish

First Solo Frostbite Trip

Post by stubborn1vt »

After my eventful trip on the Reelax on Monday, I looked at the forecast and got my little open boat ready for a frostbite trip. Launched out of Arnold Bay around 8:00. Set lines near Barber Point, or tried to.

Set one line at 50 with a sliding cheater and before I can set my second rigger the rod fired. Nobody home. I finished setting the second rigger at 50 and tried to set the other rigger and cheater, but that rod fires! Maybe 15 minutes into my first trip and I had a 16-17" salmon in the net! That was the first silver on my boat (in 4 trips since September) and I thought it would be very bad karma to keep it.

Got the rods reset and worked south. There was plenty of bait and fish, so I worked the area all morning. Picked up a few lakers and a couple real small salmon. Copper backed Crazy Ivan spoons were top producers. Things slowed down for me midday. I searched a bit further south, but ended up going back where I started but in deeper water. No grill or hot food on my little boat, but some snacks and hot tea from my thermos.

Found some fish again and got another batch of lakers, a couple white perch and a salmon that was right close to the 15" mark. Wanted to keep it, but decided it was too close and back it went. Tried some Speedy Shiners and came up with a slew of empty releases. I think I need to change those trebles out for singles. Total was 4 salmon, 7 or 8? lakers, two white perch. Only one long release.

All in all a successful trip! Enjoyed the calm weather. I never put on a pair of gloves. Fishing in the fog was kind of neat. I have a couple of adjustments I can make to be more efficient. Lots to manage when you're a solo angler. Not many pictures, as I was trying to steer, land fish and take care of them quickly.

Thanks to Matt for the crash course and Jack for touching base. My hand-held radio is on order. When I get it, it will be on 68. Tight lines and calm seas everyone!
Attachments
KIMG0221.jpeg
KIMG0221.jpeg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
KIMG0219.jpeg
KIMG0219.jpeg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
KIMG0220.jpeg
KIMG0220.jpeg (33.58 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: First Solo Frostbite Trip

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report Zeb.
You did pretty good on your first solo Frostbite trip.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Nice work!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Right on Zeb! Those salmon are in BIG trouble now. Glad to see you struck silver on your 1st trip during frostbite.

A hand held radio will be a big safety upgrade for you…

Love the pics, especially of Your solo spread. Many folks have found over the years sometime less can be more in salmon fishing..

Thanks for the report!
Matt B
Dilly Worm
Species: target salmon & catch togue

Post by Dilly Worm »

very well done stubborn1vt - that's a lot of coldwater fish for a solo trip !

Happy New Year !
I do not exaggerate when I talk about fishing - I underestimate, like I say "just one more cast honey, then I'll come home" !
Keep Calm and... Fish On !
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

Way to go Zeb!
stubborn1vt
Species: panfish

Post by stubborn1vt »

Thanks Wayne. It was sure nice to get out.