Port Henry - 12/31

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - 12/31

Post by ChessieMan »

With a good forecast, Scot and I took one more shot at salvaging what has been a rather disappointing season - we launched in a cloak of fog at 8 AM and if it weren't for a GPS chart plotter, I would have been using my "beach braille" navigation system - and even then, I was fearful of running more than 1/2 throttle cause I could see what I was about to run over.

After a rather circuitous route, we ended up in Mullen Bay - we had just finished dropping in the last line when the port dipsy fired off - and Scott managed to land what was the first of a bunch of lakers. Trolled up the 100' line and things really got going, landed a double

Imageprint screen windows xp

followed by a single and 2 "hit & runs". Did a couple loops picking up two more lakers. Running in and out of the fog we saw two other boats working the NY side and around 10 we ran the 120 line up to Cole but only managed one with two more "H&R's". Crossed over to the VT and hooked up just as we came up out of 150 FoW.

At 11:30 Scott called time for lunch - a really fine smoked venison chili served warm from little thermoses he got for Christmas - Mmmm talk about hitting the spot!

Imagehow to take a screen shot

And wouldn't you know it, we're about halfway through lunch when the port rigger fires and Scott's into a thumping laker, I'm watching and stuffing my face when the starboard dipsy fires off - now I a have a crisis - finish my chili or catch a fish - I opted for the fish. Despite getting Scott's fish wound up in the net and looking like 2 of the Three Stooges - we got the second fish in the net - 2nd double of the day!

We managed one more fish before we had to pick-up at 1PM so Scott could make a hockey game - not really sure of the final count - somewhere around 12-14 landed with 6-8 long distance releases - no silver, bit who's complaining about a double-digit day.

Caught fish on all lures - Sun Rise, Wonder Bread and blue/silver Speedi and black/purple HB - speed was critical- 2.5-2.6 seemed to be teh sweet spot.

Will we get another one in next week? I hope so - Happy New Year to all - tight lines!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Port Henry - 12/31

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Ed.
Looks like you had a ball catching lakers. What a great way to start the year.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)