Dec 28 Shakedown & Lunch On Surprise

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Dec 28 Shakedown & Lunch On Surprise

Post by Surprise »

Surprise had not been out of the barn since perch fishing in August. The Shootout I was crew aboard Pointer with Popster. Then Kathy & I spent 6weeks at camp in Lincoln.

Today I was joined by Ron Winter and John McClary for a shakedown and a bit of Frostbite lunch. This amounted to my first scouting trip to see where we might find and connect with some silver. We opted to launch at Arnold bay and were on the water at 9:30. We buzzed across setting up on the north point of Barbor. Our spread was 2 downriggers at 50 & 60 with sliders on each rod. We set a Slide Diver out 180 ft also good for 50-60 range. We set a big jon mini disc out 100 for the 20 ft range and a Lead Core with dodger fly out 5 colors down the middle.

We marked fish and bait as we trolled south to Presby's and Fishville. Had more lookers than takers. The lake started as a small 6 inch chop then flatted about noon. We picked various lakers from most places that had screen fish....nothing fast or big. Water temp ran 40 to 43 on top or the probe.

Lunch today began with some shrimp and sauce from Ron followed by Chicken Zucchini noodle soup that I made then desert of blueberries and raspberries that John brought.

All in all a beautiful day much like early November. We ended 12 for 13 with lakers and two small salmon.
Fish On!
digitroll (ron)

Re: Dec 28 Shakedown & Lunch On Surprise

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Another great outing on the Surprise yesterday. Thanks Randy and John! Back at it Thursday! Before the Sunday thru Thursday deep freeze sets in!

Today's video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eYBupgIjo

finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

nice job guys,looks like a beautiful day on the water!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Looks like a good day and better food.
digitroll (ron)

In my older years now almost 61 in February it's way more enjoyable when the air temps above 32F and light winds. No windshields freezing and spray from the boat on the riggers and slippery icy floors. Unless I choose to bring my hockey skates!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Randy.
Nice pics of good camaraderie on a beautiful day on the water.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Man, I missed this report somehow yesterday. Nice job guys, thanks for the info.

It's looking like The Country Angler, Dilly, and Our friend James will all be out there Friday in three boats. Not sure of the launch location yet. We had pretty good luck from diamond to split rock last time a couple weeks ago, but I never got around to posting the report. Really going to try to get one up this trip.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
Hawkeye
Species: salmon

Post by Hawkeye »

Randy
Great pictures of the mountains!! Plus a great day on the water!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Sounds like a great trip with very calm waters… thanks for the report and details Randy. Can’t wait to hear how Ron makes out Thursday.

Fish on!
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

Fishing today and tomorrow on the Surprise vessel with Mike Morin as our third helper! 3 out of 4 week days this week with balmy mid-thirty highs and calm seas. This will make our wait for the March splashdown target a lot closer. Looking at a couple of warm days next week now as well.