Port Henry - 12/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Port Henry - 12/9

Post by ChessieMan »

After two less than spectacular trips on Schroon - 1 laker each day - Scott and I were back at it on Champlain yesterday - launched at 8AM and ran up to 100 ft line - wind blew us back to 65' as we set lines - two DR' and 2 dipsys - Hadn't even sat down to get back on-line when Scott's yelling "Fish On!" - port dipsy tip is in the water, we land an 18" laker a few minutes later - Ooow - good omen - well it seemed like a good omen until we went an hour without another bite - we started in a furious snow flurry, but it cleared and was quite nice by 9AM

looped around and went back shallow - POW! another dipsy fires and another laker

- don't have to hit me upside the head too many times until I see a pattern - we spent the remainder of the day working in 40-75 FoW off of Beaver Brook - ended up with 4 lakers, two more lost at boat and 3 "hit & runs"

Tuna salad on a hard roll provided a bit of O'Henry type irony as we floated around talking to each other and the fish.

Around 12:30 the wind shifted from NW to NE, the temp dropped and it got a little snotty - wet ride back to the launch and Boy did that Stewart's coffee feel good!

Hot lures - Speedi Wonder Bread and Silver/Blue Speedi - 2.5-2.7 knots, 10-15 ft down.

Looking for at least one more trip with the warm up mid-week.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Port Henry - 12/9

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for the report Ed. Glad you got some tight lines.
Are U trolling 2.5-2/7 knots or mph? Knots seems a bit fast.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
ChessieMan

Post by ChessieMan »

Mph - yes, I upped it yesterday - have been around 2.2-2.4 - these spawned out lakers were very aggressive - you could actually see then come up to the lure on the screen
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Great Job! How far North did you run?
Todd
Todd
ChessieMan

Post by ChessieMan »

Stayed south most of the hits were in 50-80 FoW off Mullen Bay
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report Ed. Thinking that area will be the target next trip.. it was on fire this time in previous years.... hoping it sets up soon....

Fish on!
Matt B