Westport to Essex - 11/24

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Westport to Essex - 11/24

Post by ChessieMan »

Am I stubborn or just nuts? I don't know, but my wife has an answer.

Beautiful day yesterday, the wind died off by 8 and the sun was out with little or no breeze - I started south off at Thompson's and worked my way around north to Converse - picked up 2 lakers in very non-descript water - no bait, no marks, just a wandering trout. Crossed over to Essex and immediately - I was setting my 2nd rod when the dipsy went off - hooked up on another small laker - Oh boy, I found 'em - no, just another nomad - spent the next 2 hours working south in and out 60-150 FoW - no mas - finally right at the bottom of Whalon's I started marking bait with some regularity - but no bites - just about 12:30 something SLAMS!!!! the dipsy - I grab it and I'm on to something BIG - then I'm off - !@#$%^& - busted the leader - another $6 Mooselook donated to the fish gods.

Water was 48F everywhere, hits were split 50/50 - Mooselook Wonder bread and SunRise Speedi - speed @ 2.5-2.6 - with the exception of the ferry, there was not another boat in sight - what do you guys know that I don't?

There was a solo debate in the truck on the way home - topic - "Why do I keep doing this?" - it was prompted more buy the $62 of fuel in the truck and $36 in the boat than not catching fish - does AA have a group for Fishing addicts????

Happy Thanksgiving to all - may you eat, drink and be with friends and family.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Re: Westport to Essex - 11/24

Post by Detritus »

There was a solo debate in the truck on the way home - topic - "Why do I keep doing this?" - it was prompted more buy the $62 of fuel in the truck and $36 in the boat than not catching fish - does AA have a group for Fishing addicts????
Why the solo debate? Sounds like it was a good trip to me...

Thanks for the report. Too bad about the break off, hate it when that happens. But, hey, it's still exciting. We upped our flourocarbon leader size to 15lb a while ago. It cuts down on the bite rate I think, but also the break offs.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

did you try slowing down,2.0-2.2,i dont run many mooselocks or speedys,so maybe you have to run them that fast,but that slower speed with db smelts or stinger scorpions produces plenty of lakers in any of the adirondack lakes i fish.there was an unbelievable amount of lakers off split rock and just inside to whallons for the frostbite shootout,we went through that short stretch and had doubles and a triple,i told the captain,dont go back through there!!!!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

I had been running 2.2-2.4 the last 4 trips, thought I would mix it up a little, I when the salmon are hot, I usually run the Speedi's and HB MP6's @ 2.6-2.5
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

copy that cheesieman,dont give up,stick with it,you will get them figured out,remember,you cant learn anything sitting on the couch,keep pounding the water and learning!!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing