Homemade Planner boards and mast

AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Homemade Planner boards and mast

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Hello All. I am thinking of making my own planner boards and mast on the cheap. I found a diagram to make my own boards and will give it a try. I plan on buying some galvanized steel pipe of diameter that will fit in my Lund bow seat base recessed mount. Is 10 ft tall a good height? I have some old Big Jon Manual Downriggers that the clutches don't work anymore that I can raid parts. I will take the reels and line guides from them. I figure, that I need some eye bolts, bolts for the reels, something to stop the reels from spinning when I want and the planner rope. Any ideas on how I can secure the pipe in the chair mount. My worry is that it will pop out if loose. I don't want to kill anyone.
planner board.jpg
planner board.jpg (2.81 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
FishPole Thinking
DrCaddis
Species: Salmonids

Re: Homemade Planner boards and mast

Post by DrCaddis »

I have a 16.5 star weld that I use a planer board mast in the front swivel port. To solve your worry about your mast popping out I solved it by using a pvc pipe about 3 feet in length with a sleeve coupler on the end that fits snug into the swivel seat port. Then I slide my mast into it and it works great. see you on the water
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Re: Homemade Planner boards and mast

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

Thanks for your advice
FishPole Thinking