heading to ocean city maryland

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

heading to ocean city maryland

Post by fishy1 »

im heading to ocean city maryland the ist week of august if i can with my health issues. my bucket list are tuna mahi mahi and cobia. and suggestions and tips wouyld be appreciated. reelax you been there any tips and getcha already gave me some. going to shore fish mostly there are 3 free spots there where i wont need a fishing license and hope to get some flounder and sheepheads. anyone on here been out on the charters there for tuna with luck. my nutrient diet one of my main foods is tuna and i would really like to catch my own.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: heading to ocean city maryland

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Hi Matt,
Wishing you good luck on your trip to Ocean City, MD.
Since you'll be there during the White Marlin Open, it might be difficult to find a inexpensive charter for tuna.
I will search to try to find something.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:38 pm Hi Matt,
Wishing you good luck on your trip to Ocean City, MD.
Since you'll be there during the White Marlin Open, it might be difficult to find a inexpensive charter for tuna.
I will search to try to find something.

thank you
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

there is one charter that fishes 6 people and you can send them $325 and they will put you on a list then when they get 6 you get on. $2100 for 10 hours just tuna and mahi mahi
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

https://finchasersportfishing.com
Fin Chaser with Capt Dan.
443-397-0315
Reasonable price, not sure if still have open seats during your week.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Gecha (Gerry) wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm https://finchasersportfishing.com
Fin Chaser with Capt Dan.
443-397-0315
Reasonable price, not sure if still have open seats during your week.
thank you
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Oh Matty your gonna have a great week. Don’t forget the bridges!!!!

Sorry it took so
Long to reply.... had to hunker down for Elsa to pass here in Hudson FL..

Fish on!

Ps she hardly pushed the storm serge over the sea wall with 60mph winds. The locals here laughed and never skipped a beat:) the bite before and after the storm was worth
The wait....
Attachments
B6D70DD7-6BF8-487F-9591-C796744557AA.jpeg
B6D70DD7-6BF8-487F-9591-C796744557AA.jpeg (66.81 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

reelax didnt know you were in florida catching any sea trout. yeah tuna is on my diet and im supposed to eat twice a week would like to catch my own though. i love mahi mahi and there catching them on the tuna boats now.
how did you do on the bridges any sheephead or flounder at ocean city.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Reelax wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm Ps she hardly pushed the storm serge over the sea wall with 60mph winds. The locals here laughed and never skipped a beat:) the bite before and after the storm was worth
The wait....
Very cool
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Since I lived there for 2 decades, I can tell you the white marlin open will overwhelm with the amount of boat traffic in & out of the inlet.
As the others have mentioned, it might be hard (almost impossible) to book a tuna trip during that event.

As for shore fishing, aside from the RT50 bridge, which is so-so for stripers, you can also try the Oceanic fishing pier. I've had lots of success there, it's cheap and easy access...lots of blues, stripers, flounder, perch, black sea bass, sea trout (and cow-nosed skates) brought over the rails there over the years. Even catch hammerhead sharks there.
RT90 bridge area (Isle of Wight) also does really well for flounder, but lots of shorts to throw back.

The north jetty also produces a variety, but be careful and bring rock creepers...I broke my tailbone slipping on those rocks out at the very end while pulling in a 5-1/2# tog years ago and was wearing creepers too...great for tossing bucktails for blues too.

The bulkhead near 4th st used to produce lots of Norfolk spot & hardheads (croakers) for me, not sure how it does nowadays.

Pier behind the convention center used to produce flounder & spot, but I rarely ventured there so as to stay clear of high traffic "Junebugs"
There's also a little pull off cul-de-sac at 112th street behind the Gold Coast Mall that you can get spot & crabs for bait. But again, I didn't like driving up thru the main drag as the beach traffic & high volumes of people make it a PITA.

Another place you might want to look into is the canal up near the RT20/Fenwick bridge (Lighthouse Rd). I used to net grass shrimp there and slip-bobber fish for flounder with good success on some decent keepers. I think there's still an area where you can pull off just before the bridge. Best to fish an outgoing tide there if using grass shrimp.

If you get to the inlet parking area early enough, and have a cast net, you can throw right in the surf at the edge of the jetty and haul in lots of finger mullet.

Good luck & look forward to reading your reports!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

mudchuck thank you for your info. there are 5 places i can fish there without and fishing license and you mention some. i really dont care if i have to buy a fishng license though not expensive.
would you recommend me to start on the whorf as my target is anything that bites but my bucketlist is sea trout and flounder. we love eating flounder. i cant fish on any rocks i have to be on flat areas and cant be in sunny areas to long.
as for shorts its okay and long as we are catching fish im very excited about this trip and hoping you can fill me in more on the area.

thank you
fishy1
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

fishy1 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:49 am mudchuck thank you for your info. there are 5 places i can fish there without and fishing license and you mention some. i really dont care if i have to buy a fishng license though not expensive.
would you recommend me to start on the whorf as my target is anything that bites but my bucketlist is sea trout and flounder. we love eating flounder. i cant fish on any rocks i have to be on flat areas and cant be in sunny areas to long.
as for shorts its okay and long as we are catching fish im very excited about this trip and hoping you can fill me in more on the area.

thank you
fishy1
I'd try Oceanic pier 1st, incoming tide blues will usually be good, some flounder if catch tide near when its slack, green machine rigs with strip of squid and minnow worked for me. Night fishing that pier also is great time. Outgoing tide usually gets good results for throwing bucktails at stripers if they've pushed mullet to the surface.
Slack at low tide does okay for flounder with squid and cut finger mullet.
2nd choice for shore fishing is Isle of Wight, but need to get there early enough to stake your claim near the bridge at St. Martin's Neck Rd. Anywhere off that pier and the rip-rap worked for me. Fish an entire tide cycle starting from beginning of incoming low tide up thru the 2 hours after high tide, evenings worked best for me. BRING REPELLENT! The bugs are awful...biting flies & skeeters.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

mudchuck no see um bugs? they were terrible in florida. just heard back from oceanic pier flounder croakers blue fish and others will be in. there open 24 hours a day no fishing license needed and $10 for 24 hours not bad . hope to bring some flounder fillets home.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

fishy1 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:54 pm mudchuck no see um bugs? they were terrible in florida. just heard back from oceanic pier flounder croakers blue fish and others will be in. there open 24 hours a day no fishing license needed and $10 for 24 hours not bad . hope to bring some flounder fillets home.
No See Um's not so much as nasty salt marsh skeeters & biting flies that take a chunk of flesh with them when they bite.

O Pier is nice and it never really gets crowded...best bang for a buck...
Bloodworms for hardheads(croakers) & spot with high/low rig, bucktails for blues with a strip of squid, flounder get you some green machine rigs and strip of squid with minnow. These were my go to setups at that pier.
The weight for drifting the radius of the far end of the pier with your setup will depend on the tide cycle you fish, 1-1/2 to 3oz lead for bottom, some snags but not terrible.

If you have a cast net, go up and throw near the end of the beach in the surf where it is next to the jetty and catch finger mullet, sometimes menhaden minnows too...use as live or cut bait.

GOOD LUCK!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

mudchuck thanks for the info. i already have the weights and rigs just need to get the bait there . my casting net is in florida and i couldnt toss it out anyhow but my daughter could.
i have heard sea bass are really good eating how about croakers? will i catch some sea trout never caught one.
so your suggesting also just to fish on the pier.