Spooling line ?

striper192001
Species: salmon

Spooling line ?

Post by striper192001 »

I have a couple new setups coming to be used for jigging and want to get line spooled on correctly first time. Reels are Torium 20 HG. Is there anyone locally that has equipment to spool line on. Saw a video where using a dacron backer.......
I am thinking 50 lb power pro with a flouro leader......

Suggestions please........
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Spooling line ?

Post by Crayfish »

For mono, I throw the spool of line in a bucket of warm water and reel it on from there. The water lets the spool find it's own alignment and the warm water takes the memory out of the line. I haven't worried too much about spooling braid, though, since it doesn't really have much memory to begin with. For backing, I've used heavy mono in the past .... like 20-30lb test. It takes up some room so you don't need so much braid to fill the reel.

Good luck!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Toriums are pretty straightforward (unlike spinners). Load it under tension! If using PowerPro or similar spectra lines, use a wet rag and as much pressure as you can bear. That packs the line. For Champlain fish, it isn't as critical, but if spooling for bluefin or similar saltwater fish, pack it TIGHT. A sort section of mono will prevent the line from spinning on the arbor before you attach the spectra. That's how all of my tuna fly reels are set up. Knots? Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2iRgh9meig
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Do you have help? How do you wind and hold the wet rag...........? lol

Thanks
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

It's not difficult. Presuming you have a right hand reel, hold the rod and the rag in your left hand as if you were level winding, squeeze for tension, and grind with your right. Bait casters don't create line spin like spinners do, so more tension is best! I don't know about your "LOL" but you haven't lived until you respool a half dozen reels on the morning of tournament day!
striper192001

Post by striper192001 »

Okay..............I appreciate your patience.....

John
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

This post was a bit stale, but prior to my weekend I respooled 5 reels with 40lb mono to beat the fleas. Stripping old 12 lb was the hard part, then a good knot to the 40. I hate using 40, but I use Izorline, and I added 150 to each reel. It consumes capacity, but I was good. We had minimal flea issues and went 5/7 using a 12 lb tippet behind a good barrel swivel. A power line winder makes it faster, but doesn't make it "better".