Westport

Papatom
Species: Salmon

Westport

Post by Papatom »

Planning on fishing out of Westport Monday July 5 if weather holds. Plan is to head north along shore. Never been up that way. Going to run 2 stacked riggers at 30, 40, 50 and 60 ft looking for bait. 2.5 mph with small popular champlain spoons, changing depth and spoons until something happens. Hope I dont fall asleep like i do on lake george!!!!!
Any specific suggestions for a Champlain greenhorn? Targeting silver.
Thanks so much.
Taking my nephew who has never been before!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Westport

Post by tmcaul »

Some of us use a Fish Hawk TD probe to read temperatures down through the water column to determine where the thermocline is. When I do this, I usually set one of my riggers a little below the temperature break and the other rigger above it.

I have had no luck fishing in Northwest Bay, so if I were launching at Westport, I'd motor out and begin my fishing heading north. I think that's where you were going to fish. And I'd continue all the way to Essex.

Good luck.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Papatom

Post by Papatom »

Thanks for the reply.
2 of us going so i have options for 2 more lines. Was going stack my riggers. I could use cheaters or small slde divers. Mabe ill just try all 3????
cpmaple
Species: salmon,lakers and catfish

Post by cpmaple »

Papatom depending on where you set up an how close you are to the shore line be careful out by those coves/bays that I come by those points jump right up. I use a #2 dipsy let out 75-100 ft with a 3-4ft leader behind. Also depending how far north u go watch out for the ball grabber nearing split rock is in the area of the camp on the shore want to say it was a green camp on the shore I found it the hard way. Just a few things to look out for. Don't pass up trolling south out of Westport toward light house can be good just coming out of northwest bay. Good luck an tight lines cpmaple (chad)
Papatom

Post by Papatom »

Went this morning alone. Headed south to the light house point dragging spoons. Started both about 60 to 70 feet since i was seeing hooks and bait there. Tried all the standard salmon trolling adjustments with no luck. Turned north and headed to north shore of NW Bay then turned and headed back to launch. I was on water at 5:30 am. Ended up catching 1 small short lake trout. Had a couple of popped releases, but nobody home. FRUSTRATING MORNING. Some other guys at launch said things were slow????? Had 30 lb on my main lines. No flea problems at all. Going to start planning my fall fishing spread.
Hawkeye50

Post by Hawkeye50 »

Papatom,spoke to you at the launch this am, first skunk of the season for us,only 1 hit on wire diver,broke off
Fished same area as you,very slow.
Papatom

Post by Papatom »

Hawkeye50, your performance (getting skunked) makes me feel better. I just started fishing Champlain and still learning the ins and outs. At least now I know my luck wasn't all my fault yesterday. Champlain is really different from Lake George especially the amount of fish. Yesterday would of been a typical day on northern George!!!
I assume as summer continues chasing salmon is a matter of finding the depth they are at either by thermocline fishing or seeing bait and fish. Then its a matter of tuning presentation????
You mentioned your wire divers. From reading the forum divers seem to be a favored tool on champlain. I have a set with the small slide divers. Now i guess i need to switch to a larger slide divers to get deeper??? Probably use braid.
Thanks for for your reply yesterday.