Understanding Dipsy Divers

AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Understanding Dipsy Divers

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

I am trying to understand Dipsy Divers. I understand the depth chart to get the depth that you want based the amount of of line out and using the o-ring or not. However, I am a little puzzled on 2 things. Firstly, the dial setting. What makes you want to use the different settings? It is to get the diver out certain distances from the side of the boat? Also, how do you know what distance out from the side of the boat will it run. My downriggers stick out the side of the boat. I want to be sure that the dispy divers are out far enough to not interfere with my downrigger line. I am also using in line planner boards. I want the diver in between the down rigger and planner board. Is there any chart or calculation to set the Dipsy Diver a certain distance away from the side of the boat?
FishPole Thinking
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Understanding Dipsy Divers

Post by Crayfish »

I don't know of any way to figure out how far to the side the dipsy is running. With the rigger out, as well, you'll want the dipsy on a 3 setting (if I remember correctly) to get it as far as possible away from the boat. You'll also want to use a long rod to help clear the rigger. Cabela's sells dipsy rods that are 9', I believe. My buddy uses those on Lake O and they work great. Hopefully they have a lighter weight version to use here.

If I run dipsy's, I rotate my rigger so it's at a 45deg angle ... not straight out. That will give you a little extra clearance.

Good luck!
AmFishFil Thinking
Species: Trout, Salmon, Bass, Pike, Per

Post by AmFishFil Thinking »

OK Thanks for the info. I don't have the ability to turn my downriggers. They are fixed. But I'll set the dipsy at 3 and sent the planners board out further just in case.
FishPole Thinking
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Hello,
I run a set-up like you are talking about often. I have learned over the years that it's not too hard to stay in between the downrigger and my lead line off the planer.( Well there was definitely a Learning Curve involved :D )
I usually set the diver at 2-2.5. I run the planer board out the furthest, the downrigger between 30-50' back. Then I drop the slide or dipsy in slowly and watch it's action. I have found that a 2-2.5 setting runs it at a good location. I wait some and if no hits I will bring the diver in or out, depending on the conditions.
I agree with "Crayfish," Rod Size definitely helps. On all the set's. It's amazing what another 6"-12" can do for you!
Good Luck! Looking forward to the report!

Best,
Ej
(TruViking)