Frostbite photo summary last 3 November trips (Bonus 8 lb silver salmon)

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Frostbite photo summary last 3 November trips (Bonus 8 lb silver salmon)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Photos and video from the last three November Frostbite trips with guests Jan and Mike. Mike and I had to split up with both our own boats to fish solo last Friday when the Governor's order came out for Covid restrictions to just contact with immediate families for the time being. Mike was rewarded with a 8 lb plus 26" salmon in the middle of Willsboro Bay making it a #2 salmon personal best for him. Mike like myself practices catch and release. Wonderful to see these fish swim away after a good battle. It's been a windy month!

With all the big runs on the rivers the last few weeks and some huge salmon being documented by the anglers and Fish and Game everyone is very upbeat about our fishery. A big turnaround from a few weeks ago!

Fish was caught 60 ft down on a hammered silver purple and black spoon from Dattilios.

Video heading over 20 seconds out of Coast Guard Friday the 13th 7 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDcXs4QI_4

laptop keyboard checker
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Frostbite photo summary last 3 November trips (Bonus 8 lb silver salmon)

Post by tmcaul »

Ron,

I see in your video that you're using a Samsung tablet to display your chart. I assume its GPS provides the tracking. Does this provide enough brightness on a summer day? I ask bc the only time I used this kind of setup was on a sunny day with no bimini and I had trouble reading the tablet on another guy's boat - I think it was an iPad. Tia.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Tom, I split my Lowrance HDS-9 screen as fishfinder and GPS.
I often use my IPad to display and record my tracking when fishing new waters so I can visualize it later if needed. The iPad screen is large and great when in the shade but it is very hard to see in sunshine. I tried different screen protectors but could not find one that really helped against the glare. Maybe someone on the forum found a way to help with the screen glare.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

In the sun kind of useless. But it's in the shade of the Bimini top all the time where I have no problems viewing.
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

Thanks for the report Ron.

I've always wanted to fish willsboro and the four brothers area, but, We've never gotten over there yet. This year was the first year we had a boat that could make the trip, but, between losing the engine in the spring, the derby, and busy life, we just never made it over. I knew there was big fish over there, haha.

We did the fish together on separate boats thing with Dilly Worm on Saturday. It's not so bad, if you stay close enough on the water, you can still see what's going on inside your buddy's boat, and talk on the radio. If anything, it adds to the mystery a little. Especially when you see a commotion next door, and don't quite know what's going on, besides there's a fish on.

We would have let that salmon go too. We have a sort of self imposed slot limit on our boat. If we're fishing for food, small goes back in. Really big, also goes back in. My wife is often annoyed though when we're fishing for food, and all we come back with is pictures, haha.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
digitroll (ron)

Jack,

It's been about 3 years since I have been over there to fish. Biggest challenge is a decent crossing. 15 minute run at 32 mph to cross early and 30 minutes to return noon time in 2-3 footers at 17 mph average. Small ones are good for food and I always and my buddies like see the bigger ones go back. I fished the Basin LCI derby for 5 years and this year I decided to pass for the reason of putting them back and not killing them to weigh. Nice to try different areas instead of the same area this time of year time and time again. The two boat approach buddy system us both fishing solo helped in this case as we were the only boats over there. Safety is important. Good luck / Good fishing.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Yeah, that's a lot of water to cross this time of the year for us. We'd probably do it if we had other boats making the same trip at the same time, but, I don't think we'd do a solo trip.

Weather looks good for Saturday right now, that's probably going to be our next fishing day. We haven't fished Shelburne in a long time, maybe I'll see if the boys have any interest in that. I've got to put my boat back together first though, I'm fabricating a new fixed kicker bracket. The garelick stainless adjustable that's on there now has had me wondering when my little Honda was going to end up at the bottom of the lake, or the middle of the road ever since I got the boat.

Jack
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Jack, you might see me out that way on Saturday. I'll be in a bare metal old starcraft with a blue top. The Shelburne launch might still be shallow, but the Coast Guard launch is always good to go.

I have a panther fixed kicker bracket that I've been happy with. I had to cut it at an angle on the bottom so it wouldn't scoop water on plane, but it keeps my 15" shaft honda out of the water at speed tilted up. And it's extremely sturdy 3/8" aluminum. Much better than any folding bracket I've had.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

BottomDollar, thanks for the info on the launches. Is that your radio handle on 68 when you fish too? I'm assuming your boat is the one in your avatar. Never been on one of those, but it looks like you've got great visibility and protection with all of those front windows.

I just finished my kicker build today, and posted a little build thread in the general section on here. Pulled out one of my captains chairs too, and am replacing it with a 2 seat cooler/future livewell.

Hoping the cooler shows up before the weekend, so we can try that out too. Of course, that will affect our heater placement, so I might have to build something for that next.

Jack
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

By the way, those panthers look really nice, but, I was trying to keep my cost below $50. Plus gave me more time on the tig welder.

Jack
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Jack, yep, you can hail me with that name. Or Andy.

Your bracket looks fantastic. Fancy machine shop ones are very pricey, and yours looks just as sturdy. I'm also a 100% DIY boat owner because I'd never be able to afford it otherwise, plus I enjoy it. Keep posting your projects, I know there's at least a few of us who enjoy seeing people's home boat shop work.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Thanks Andy.

I'm always doing something to these old boats. Driven by safety and reliability, but also streamlining the whole fishing process. Making it more comfortable and enjoyable. It's really special time out there with the kids, I like to try to make the most of it.

Jack
TruViking
Species: Those who thrive in Cold H20

Post by TruViking »

Hello Fellow Treasure Hunter's!
First, Great Post and Pics! I really enjoy seeing how all the other anglers are doing out there.
I've been following this site for a while now but just recently registered. I saw this post and figured it was a good time to introduce myself and "Chime In."
My name is Eric. I'm a proud Dad of Three amazing kids, a 46 y.o., soon to be Senior at UVM(Long Story), I live in the NNE of Burlington and I feel lucky for it. Oh, and amongst other things, I also Love to Fish!🙂
As I said, I have frequented this website for quite some time & have to be honest, I owe many of you a gesture of appreciation, due to the knowledge that I have gained and lessons learned about Lake Champlain, the Salmon Fishery and other related topics. So, I Thank You all for such a Great Website/Forum is and the clear expertise that you all have for this thing that we do. I also get reassurance in many of the posts, as an abundance of the topics and replys that I read, are extremely similar to my experiences out on the Lake.
Ok, the groveling will cease now!
I have been going out on the water frequently and have had very similar outcomes as many of you out there this Fall.
Thanks again for this Forum! I will be sure to contribute when I can.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Ejandhisboy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:35 am Hello Fellow Treasure Hunter's!
First, Great Post and Pics! I really enjoy seeing how all the other anglers are doing out there.
I've been following this site for a while now but just recently registered. I saw this post and figured it was a good time to introduce myself and "Chime In."
My name is Eric. I'm a proud Dad of Three amazing kids, a 46 y.o., soon to be Senior at UVM(Long Story), I live in the NNE of Burlington and I feel lucky for it. Oh, and amongst other things, I also Love to Fish!🙂
As I said, I have frequented this website for quite some time & have to be honest, I owe many of you a gesture of appreciation, due to the knowledge that I have gained and lessons learned about Lake Champlain, the Salmon Fishery and other related topics. So, I Thank You all for such a Great Website/Forum is and the clear expertise that you all have for this thing that we do. I also get reassurance in many of the posts, as an abundance of the topics and replys that I read, are extremely similar to my experiences out on the Lake.
Ok, the groveling will cease now!
I have been going out on the water frequently and have had very similar outcomes as many of you out there this Fall.
Thanks again for this Forum! I will be sure to contribute when I can.
Hi Eric, nice to meet you. We're pretty new to all of this ourselves, and I have to say, you can't find a better group of people online, or on the radio fishing. What's your boat name, and where do you most often fish? Give the Country Angler a shout on 68 anytime you're out on the weekends. If we hear you, well let you know what's been going on with the fish out there.

Jack
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum Eric. We look forward reading your posts.
Share your fishing experience and knowledge.
And YES... we love pics.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)