Dual battery setup question

General discussion not related to Lake Champlain.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Dual battery setup question

Post by Cas »

Purchased a perko dual battery switch. I don't have a lot of electronics on my boat, but over time that will be increasing. That and piece of mind knowing I have 2 batteries "just in case".

Do you guys run one cranking battery and one deep cycle for electronics, or 2 cranking batteries? My kicker doesn't have a charging system on it, but I know one can be installed, but thinking with 2 batteries, I won't bother for now.
________
Mike
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Dual battery setup question

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I do run 1 cranking and 1 deep cycle.
My riggers and sonar-gps are connected to my deep cycle. I didn't install a Perko

Be aware that when switching from 1 to 2 on the Perko that you're motor should be not running; if not it could damage something in you're alternator or the rectifier on an outboard

http://www.perko.com/images/catalog/pdf ... 0INS1).pdf
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Hi Mike, I'm using 2 Interstate starting batteries w/ a 1, 2, BOTH, OFF switch. My kicker keeps either or both fairly well topped off, pretty much keeping up with the demand. I alternate between # 1 & # 2 each trip. Without a charging system, you'll just have to keep on top of things with an AC Charger. Your main engine may compensate as well. I've had excellent luck with Interstate Batteries in Williston. Great product, warranties & customer service.
Andre has an excellent point when it comes to switching between batteries. Be careful to not go through the "OFF" position while things are running. I've heard bad things can happen.
Bill
"POINTER"
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Post by Surprise »

Hi Mike,

I had 1 motor 40hp Johnson 1985 no alternator.

I broke the + line and installed a master shut off switch. I always for 12years ran two deep cycle batteries tied together and just used a battery charger when I got home. Two years ago I intalled a single circuit on board charger and left it plugged in all the time.

Gear aboard: two riggers, Radio, Graph, GPS, Compass,

Never an issue.
Fish On!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I have one starting battery for two engines and 2 deep cycles that just run my i-pilot trolling motor at 24 volts. Can I put in a 2 bank charger and charge these 3 batteries all at the same time?
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

fishingmachine wrote:I have one starting battery for two engines and 2 deep cycles that just run my i-pilot trolling motor at 24 volts. Can I put in a 2 bank charger and charge these 3 batteries all at the same time?
Yes
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Cas wrote:...Do you guys run one cranking battery and one deep cycle for electronics, or 2 cranking batteries? My kicker doesn't have a charging system on it, but I know one can be installed, but thinking with 2 batteries, I won't bother for now.
CAS- I have a friend's used-up "cranking/trolling" combo battery for a starting battery. I have to charge it before heading out. It got ruined because it got left for a year or better in a discharged condition. But it will go all day if I am not running the riggers a lot, and if I am just running a little with the main (40hp Suzuki and a 6A alternator which does "keep up") and then fishing with the electric on the other battery (walleye method) it will go fine all week when I go to NY for a week. But the 40hp starts with barely a pull even with a dead battery, soooo......

Anyway, I have a 29-series deep cycle as a second battery that only runs the 44# MinnKota. The starting battery runs downriggers, radio(s), sonar, gps, lights, etc. When I had two good batteries the best scenario was to have a 27 "cranking/trolling" as the starting battery and 31 deep cycle for the troller just like I do now, except the 27 I had bought new and it would go fine all day long. In your situation I would run two cranking/trollers. These batteries have the heavy plates and surface area for a long, slow discharge. Marine starting batteries are designed more for in-boards that demand a lot of juice to crank.

I buy the EverStart Maxx (Walmart) batteries as they are a lot cheaper. I get YEARS out of them (at least when I don't hit one with a shovel cleaning out snow... :roll: ) - the Maxx are made by the same company that makes Die Hard for Sears, so they are good batteries.

Life expectancy "standards" are like this: cranking battery, 5-7 years; cranking/trolling, 2- 5 years; deep cycle, 2 years. I usually get longer life than those numbers, but I am religious about keeping them charged and filled with distilled water. The cranking/trolling combo I hit with the shovel was going on 6 or 7 years with no sign of weakness (until I hit it and drained 2 cells). That was an Everstart too.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Just remember Mike, you'll get what you pay for. Think Walmart will service your batteries?
Bill
"POINTER"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Popster (Bill) wrote:Just remember Mike, you'll get what you pay for. Think Walmart will service your batteries?
Good point Bill.
I too have excellent experience's with Interstate Batteries in Williston. I haven't needed them for my marine needs (yet), but other requirements including work related. They have top notch products and excellent customer service with superb skills and knowledge.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Thanks for all the info, it's all helpful. Once I have all this power on board, I'll have to find myself some electric downriggers, if only my wife would get on board with the money spending habits of fisherman always wanting/needing more toys...
________
Mike
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

favorite quote:My greatest fear is my wife will sell all my fishing equipment for what she thinks I paid for it!
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

I use Interstate combination Deep Cycle/starting batteries and have been using them for the past 10 years or so as my dual battery set-up. This is my third boat with that identical set-up and never a problem or no start condition.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
VTgooseman
Species: Fish with Teeth!

Post by VTgooseman »

I run a Perko switch and two Interstate batteries, one cranking and one deep cell. I installed the Perko last year and it is very handy to have the option to charge both batteries while running spot to spot.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Interstate, the top-shelf DieHards, and the Everstart Maxx are (or were at my last distributor gossip session) made by Johnson Controls. I haven't had a Everstart die early yet (other than the shovel bite) even when abused. I was told by a jobber that went to the factory that Everstart and DieHard have identical plates. Interstate was not observed by him, but he was told they were the same, too.

But I get the service issue at Walmart. However, last spring when my deep cycle charger died in upstate NY (I bought the prior fall at Walmart in Williston) I went to a nearby Walmart without the receipt and they gave me a new one no questions asked. Pleasantly surprised

At my last battery purchase an Interstate was $60 more than the same spec Everstart Maxx. Having had great luck for 20 years with Everstarts, the choice was easy. (BTW, the Maxx is the good one- Walmort's lesser-priced options are (or used to be) Exide and aren't as good)

Your mileage may vary. Buy what works best for you expectations.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
luntfrnd
Species: silver and gold

Post by luntfrnd »

Mike, I have no idea about the dual battery stuff but I do know this...you are the new Crappie master!