Converse Friday 7/31

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Kayak19
Species: Lake Trout, Salmon, Bass

Converse Friday 7/31

Post by Kayak19 »

First post here:

Headed out of converse around 0630 on my kayak. Gorgeous day and the water was smooth. Spent the morning dusting off my trolling gear and settings on my fish finder. The only fish landed was a tiny Laker that didn't even trigger the release on my diver.

I stopped right off cedar beach and attempted some jigging but at the point the wind had picked up slightly and was drifting too much to be effective. I called it a day after noon and packed up.

On Saturday I went to Dunmore and did some trolling and was able to land a nice 5lb Laker running a big silver spoon down about 75-80ft.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Converse Friday 7/31

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum. I enjoyed your post. Glad you were able to get a hookup on a nice laker.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

Sweet. Trolling from the kayak is an awesome challenge! I'm curious as to how you ran that spoon at 75ish feet off the kayak? I'm running a downrigger off my Hobie for the first time this year but I have only ran it at 30 feet at the most thus far. I caught some 16 inch at the most lakers at Maidstone this week. I'm hoping for some fishing next week to see if i can convince some brown trout to bite in the North end of the Inland Sea... though...The water maybe a little mixed up after this week's weather!
Kayak19
Species: Lake Trout, Salmon, Bass

Post by Kayak19 »

shirefisher wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:38 pm Sweet. Trolling from the kayak is an awesome challenge! I'm curious as to how you ran that spoon at 75ish feet off the kayak? I'm running a downrigger off my Hobie for the first time this year but I have only ran it at 30 feet at the most thus far. I caught some 16 inch at the most lakers at Maidstone this week. I'm hoping for some fishing next week to see if i can convince some brown trout to bite in the North end of the Inland Sea... though...The water maybe a little mixed up after this week's weather!
Hey fellow pedal pal! I use dipsy divers and reels with line counters. I thought about mounting a down rigger on my old town predator pdl but I went for the dipsy diver route and can run two rods at once using the stock rod holders. Also having a fish finder has been a complete game changer!

I'm hoping to get out again this week but the weather looks like there will be some decent chop on the lake. Might end up doing back to Dunmore or another lake with cold water species instead.
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

i use a mix of dipsy divers and lite bite slide divers. I also attached a fish finder this year which has been fun although mostly I'm using for depth and structure. I'm never sure if I trust the fish it shows on the screen. I'm thinking of switching over to rapalas and seeing if i can convince some pike or bass in the deep by Butler Island later this week. Good luck and look forward to your posts.