Oak Orchard visit Summary with 2 minute video.

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

Oak Orchard visit Summary with 2 minute video.

Post by digitroll (ron) »

4 sets of doubles today for Joe and I as we finished 13/16 on Kings. Video of the big one (27.5 lbs) largest of the first 3 days. Yesterday we were 9/18. Monday was 3/4 with a shortened am due to the wind that came up 9:30 am. One day to go. All fish released unharmed!

Link of video of the big fish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6j84HARrNs

This was a 25 lb King caught earlier.

spam click test
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Big King Day at Oak Orchard day 3 of 4.

Post by Reelax »

Wow some great looking Kings there Ron! Thanks for the report...

You can hang a king on a gill holder and release it? They are truly Hearty beasts...!
Matt B
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Good point, didn't notice that the first time. I always have to give them the bear hug to get them out of the boat unharmed. Good luck!, Matt
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

careful there Ron you'll get fish juice in the boat. have fun hope weather stays with you.
digitroll (ron)

Day 4 was the best day for Joe and I. After a slow first 4.5 hours going 2 for 10 we went west on a search for along the 85 ft contour and found an area that had some active fish and bait from 11:00 am to 3:30 pm with a triple and finished the day 14 for 24! Meat was the key and Big Weenie bait head rigs with 8" Pro Boards in two face in white and chrome fished down 70 and 80 feet over 85 feet of water. 3.5 days of fishing with 41 hours on the water with outstanding weather! All of the kings went back unharmed on this trip and we held them very briefly from the back of the transom for the photo and they went back in the water. We kept them in the water until the photo was taken in most cases we didn't use a net. It was a very quick process. All fish swam away with no floaters to die. We did land two steelhead as well.

The Oak has been on my bucket list for years and it was a great first time visit! Photo of a 22 lb King below on it's 3rd jump after getting big air 3X.

digitroll (ron)

Looking at the 3.5 days by numbers: 41 hours fished recorded with my Merc troll master rpm gauge with 34 gallons of fuel used resulting in .8 gph.
We had 62 releases in 41 hrs and landed 37 Kings and two Steelhead. A very successful trip for our first visit to the Oak.

The new 200 hp now has 250 hours on it and almost double what I average for a season. Great motor!
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Incredible pics. Thanks a lot Ron for sharing your outstanding captures.
You spent a lot of hours lately on the boat.... That's what summer's for.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Back home Gerry and thanks! A nice travel day for 400 miles. We have been out tubing with the kids about 6 times and the motor is getting some multi use for the first time in 7 years. :)
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Looks like the boat traffic was minimal, on my bucket list as well. Good trip!
digitroll (ron)

2 minute You Tube video of a summary of our 3 1/2 day trip for our first time visit to the Oak! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV9JAja_zZQ
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Re: Oak Orchard visit Summary with 2 minute video.

Post by tmcaul »

Ron, is it true you don't eat fish? It's not too hard to keep a couple filets fresh on the trip home and they are delicious. Even if they go to your neighbors back in VT. :)
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
digitroll (ron)

Re: Oak Orchard visit Summary with 2 minute video.

I enjoy seeing them swim away. Once in a while a guest will keep one or two on my boat. I don't eat them. I have kept 1 now and then for a couple my wife is friends with on these trips. Last 3 years they opted out. I haven't mounted a fish in 30 years back when they were $100 a fish. Since I started using a Go Pro camera it's fun to film these fish going to the transom + holding them and editing the footage for a short video. Keeping it around or less than 2 minutes is the goal. :)