Shark attack???

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
Boatless in BTV
Species: Anything that bites

Shark attack???

Post by Boatless in BTV »

I caught a 14-inch smallmouth tonight on the Burlington shoreline with a 2-inch chunk taken out of its back right in front of the dorsal fin.

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture, but the wound was clean and round so it wasn't a boat strike or an osprey attack, and it wasn't entirely healed so it's not an old wound from when the fish was little.

If I had caught this fish in a tidal river I would assume the fish had a run in with a small shark, but are there any fish in Champlain that can literally take a bite out of a 1-pound-plus bass? A bowfin maybe?

The only other thing I can think of that might cause a wound like that is an otter or mink.

Overall, the fishing was pretty good, with around 10 bass total including three in neighborhood of 3 pounds. I hooked one that I think would have gone close to 4 but he dragged me across some rocks and cut the line.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Re: Shark attack???

Post by the_doctor »

Hmm... giant pike? A chunk ripped out from foul-hooking?
Take a picture next time!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I was thinking Pike also... maybe Gar?
Matt B
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Reelax wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:36 am I was thinking Pike also... maybe Gar?
There are pike in Champlain who would take a 14" bass as a snack. Pike will hit anything that they even suspect will fit in their mouths...plus many things that never could, but they'll try it anyway!

I think the bass was lucky...It's only a flesh wound!