shore fishing for lakers

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: shore fishing for lakers

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome Matt! I tried near Burlington yesterday with no bites.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

10/14/2020 went back again this afternoon after school and let fishy2 cast for lakers. she did really well with FISHY2 honeybee lure she had jim martino make up for her with her color scheme. she got the honeybee lure out a ways each cast and thats important. she said she had a follow and it had spots on it so i was thinking salmon. next cast it followed again told her to stop and twitch and she did and the salmon hit but tossed the honeybee. fishy2 was really excited. she had one more hit and we left dinner time at home.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Good to hear you’re getting out Matt. Where Do you post your hunting reports? I haven’t been out much, have a great bird dog but she’s picked up some awful kind of asthma that we can’t figure out yet. It’s really too bad, the dog lives to hunt.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:19 pm Good to hear you’re getting out Matt. Where Do you post your hunting reports? I haven’t been out much, have a great bird dog but she’s picked up some awful kind of asthma that we can’t figure out yet. It’s really too bad, the dog lives to hunt.
scroll down the page its on the very bottom. HUNTING
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I love that Fishy2 has a color now, too. I also love that you're finding fish over there. I tried from shore again for an hour or two in the big wind yesterday, near Burlington, but no fish.

Today in the kayak I had a water temp reading of 56 degrees. I read from a couple sources that lakers usually spawn around 50 degrees. I don't know if that's true but I'll pretend that's why I'm not catching anything from shore yet :lol:
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I forgot to report- On Sunday I fished all afternoon from shore. I was south of Burlington. I caught one small laker. I saw one or two fish bust water too.

I've tried my closer-to-Burlington spot a few times since then-- with no bites.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Post by the_doctor »

Matt / troutcrazy do you have any recommendation on casting spoons?
Do you use Tamiron casting spoons? Or Honeybees?
What's the weight?

Yesterday I was casting a a Rainbow Krocodile I believe 3/4oz and had a huge smallmouth on but lost him. I have caught some massive smallmouth right off shore lately.
But then I lost my Krocodile on the rocks :-(

The Krocs are hard to find, even online, so I am looking for a good alternative.
MeanGreen
Species: lake trout

Post by MeanGreen »

Hey about those Kroc spoons. I find a bunch of them on ebay. fishusa also has them in stock
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i been buying them mostly on ebay.i like the short ones in 3/8 ounce. cast truer and have a better tight wiggle. my favorite color now is the blue streak krocs. if you cant find them buy the honey bee casting lures. they work great.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

I learned about the Kroc from Fishy1! Same with the Honeybee! The Kroc is my go-to. My three main casting lures are:

Honeybee. It has the best action but the shortest cast. It's hard to fish it deep. One spring I had the good luck to find a bunch of browns and salmon near shore and the Honeybee was the only lure I could get them to bite.

Kroc (rainbow). It's in the middle. good cast. decent action. My confidence was shaken a little by the day I couldn't catch the salmon and browns on it but I still usually cast this one first.

Kastmaster (silver or gold). Yup-- lots of people say it's no good. It has the worst action but the best cast. You have to jig it. Where it shines in my opinion is letting it fall into deep water. You can jerk it and pause to get a really aggressive darting flutter- sometimes I get really aggressive and chaotic with a jigging retrieve and it triggers lakers. I really like the way it falls. I've had a few laker days where the kastmaster was the clear winner. I wouldn't say it's a good salmon lure but one time I caught a salmon casting it from my kayak and letting it fall to the bottom in 50' of water. I'm not certain about this but I think it does better when tied direct (with a split ring!) and not as well with a snap-swivel.

I hear of people using Little Cleos. I never liked them- they always seemed to twist my line even with a swivel. But people mention them in Great Lakes forums.

Two spoons I keep meaning to try: Moonshine. KO wobbler.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

troutcrazy wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:44 am
Honeybee. It has the best action but the shortest cast. It's hard to fish it deep. One spring I had the good luck to find a bunch of browns and salmon near shore and the Honeybee was the only lure I could get them to bite.

Try braid with Fluro carbon & 18" leader with #3 duolock.

Count down to desired depth, then begin retrieve. If the spoon is rising you are reeling too slow!

It is also the lightest of the spoons that you mentioned.

Be sure it is one of our casting spoons. Good fishing!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Thank you all for the info!
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Caught two lakers close to shore up north today. 15' deep or less, 20 or so feet off shore in the canoe. Never caught them there before but never tried this late. Sorry, no pics but both were big.
Was fishing fathead minnows for perch when the lakers appeared.
Wanted to go out deeper to where I have been getting white perch but it was windier than I thought so I hung in close and connected with the two lakers and two nice 12" yellow perch. Also lost two smallmouth.

All in all, a fun day. Will be interesting to go cast spoons in this spot now that I know there are lakers around.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

awsome a good sign thanks for posting. did you get some nice perch?
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

Just the two 12 inch yellows for perch. When they get that size sometimes they think they've become bass and they roam the shallows.
I have been catching yellows and whites at the drop-off near me, about 35' deep, when it's not too windy to make it miserable out there lately. They are stacked up, especially the whites, this time of year and the early spring too.

I like to go get the whites when I can. Feels good to take some invaders out of the lake. There are some big whites out there.

My nephew is staying with me this weekend so might head back out if it's not too cold or windy. Like to get him into a few of those lakers.