shore fishing for lakers

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Re: shore fishing for lakers

Post by troutcrazy »

tamiron wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:11 pm
Try braid with Fluro carbon & 18" leader with #3 duolock.
I forgot to mention that Honeybee also has the best tech support! :D

I'm not sure I quite understand the rig you're describing, but I'd like to. Here's what I think you mean:
Braid mainline with a 3-8' fluoro leader tied with a double uni knot.
Barrel swivel to ANOTHER fluoro leader 18" long.
#3 Duolock snap (not a swivel)
Casting Honeybee.

Is that what you mean?

Second question: what brand duolock do you recommend?
(I'm not confident that the sizing is consistent between brands and I'd very much like to try rigging to your precise specifications!)

Thanks!
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Perfect!

I use and will sell Rosco #3. They also make Sampo, but except for the price difference, they appear to be the same. Their sizes are definitely interchangeable.
Last edited by tamiron on Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

10/31/2020 went deer hunting in morning went home took a little nap and headed north for some shore fishing for Lakers. Wind blowing in on me and cool but I was determined to catch Lakers. 11 th cast I have a double whammy hit and fish on I land a Laker. Almost every 5 th cast I had a follow and they would spook. But the next hour I land 4 more Lakers. I ended up 5 for 6 and had at least 10 follows. I had so much fun fishy1 is back. Couldn't take pics with the waves rolling in on me and unless I get a badly hooked one and that didn't happen. All were released nothing over 22 inches but saw some 25,s. Finstins jason stopped in westport to chat but you were still out. Catch up with you next weekend. Forgot to mention what my lure was will take a pic and post it was one of fishy2 honeybees.
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome Fishy1! Frostbite conditions for sure... with emphasis on "bite"!
I can't wait to start catching from shore. Today in the kayak the Fishy1 Honeybee really produced.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

IMG_20201102_105422.jpg
IMG_20201102_105422.jpg (45.51 KiB) Viewed 21568 times
here you go trout crazy
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Haha awesome! Most of mine have paint chipped off from fish bites!

Well... I went to my near-Burlington spot today but once again the Northwest wind was crashing waves into the rocks which would have made landing a fish dangerous. So I didn't even fish there. Instead I headed to a spot that was sheltered, but not that deep and I'd never caught anything good there. I caught a big pike on the Rainbow Kroc. And then... I slipped on the rocks and fell into the lake! Haha I wasn't hurt and I thought it was pretty funny. I don't fall often. These goddam hiking shoes- Oboz- are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn but something about the soles makes them super slippery on wet rocks! Not good fishing shoes. I forgot.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:40 pm Haha awesome! Most of mine have paint chipped off from fish bites!

Well... I went to my near-Burlington spot today but once again the Northwest wind was crashing waves into the rocks which would have made landing a fish dangerous. So I didn't even fish there. Instead I headed to a spot that was sheltered, but not that deep and I'd never caught anything good there. I caught a big pike on the Rainbow Kroc. And then... I slipped on the rocks and fell into the lake! Haha I wasn't hurt and I thought it was pretty funny. I don't fall often. These goddam hiking shoes- Oboz- are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn but something about the soles makes them super slippery on wet rocks! Not good fishing shoes. I forgot.
hope your okay but the rocks are slippery for all soles trust me. remember a couple of ago in 3 foot waves coming in on me and trying to land a good size laker and i slipped and went crashing in. headed home instantly wind chill was 23 degrees that morning. i dont go on the rocks anymore drs orders and you know where im talking. glad your okay
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/8 2020 went deer hunting in morning but very warm so i headed north this afternoon for some shore fishing for lakers. started fishing at 3 pm and fished till 4 pm got hungry so i went home to eat. it was a beautiful afternoon but the fish didnt cooperate much. i did land 2 very small lakers and had a couple of follows.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/13/2020 was up north hunting but after headed down to the lake for some shore casting. Fished for a half hour with 1 hit when the rain began to fall so I headed home. Deer hunting was zeros to.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/21/2020 had an amazing morning this morning shore fishing for Lakers. My hunting buddy got hurt so we couldn't hunt and I can't go alone so I decided to head north for some shore fishing. Started fishing at 7:45 am 4 the cast freight train hit and fish on I land a 25 inch Laker and released it. Perfect wind west makes it easy for me to land fish without a net. 11 th cast freight train hit again and fish on I land another 25 inch Laker. Then I went about 15 minutes without a hit then a freight train hit and fish on I land a 27 inch Laker. So now 3 for 3. Then I went a half hour and no hits and then another freight train hit and I land a 22 inch Laker 4 for 4 wow. Another 15 minutes went by and I decided to go deer hunting on a stand close to road. I always say last cast and tossed it out started my wind when I have a freight train hit and I mean freight train drag just zzzzzzzing and on fire my ist thoughts was a foul hooked Laker . Had a long ways to get it to shore though and to land it without a net.let him run the drag and when he would slow down I would use my rod to move him closer to shore. After a hard fought Laker I won and landed him. I was surprised he wasn't fouled hook just a pig Laker decided to keep it for a friend and see what's in it's stomach. Gave it to my bait man. 31 inches long and fat. Didn't weigh it. I was an incredible 5 for 5 this morning in less than 2 hours. It felt so good to be able to get back shore fishing for now.
Attachments
IMG_20201121_105330.jpg
IMG_20201121_105330.jpg (110.23 KiB) Viewed 21297 times
troutcrazy

Post by troutcrazy »

Awesome Matt! The size of these lakers is really nice. 31" that's a monster. The big ones seem to take on a different fighting attitude than the mediums, don't you think? I'm glad to see you getting into them from shore! I have had very little luck from shore this fall.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:47 pm Awesome Matt! The size of these lakers is really nice. 31" that's a monster. The big ones seem to take on a different fighting attitude than the mediums, don't you think? I'm glad to see you getting into them from shore! I have had very little luck from shore this fall.
they all fight hard from shore but those big ones are so strong and don't like to come up. Seem like they always run north or south never east or west
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Happy you're back fishing again Matt. 5 nice lakers in 2 hours from shore is pretty good.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Detritus
Species: Anything we can catch

Post by Detritus »

31 inches long and fat. Didn't weigh it. I was an incredible 5 for 5 this morning in less than 2 hours.
Tess' 30 inch fish yesterday was 8 lbs. When I submitted it to the master angler program, (her first ever), I saw a bunch of 30 inch Lakers in the 8 lb range. I bet yours was at least that.

We have big heavy trolling rods that are probably too big for this lake, but, work good for all of the kids that are reeling in the fish. I bet it's tons of fun to catch them on light tackle.

Can't believe how many Lakers you catch off of shore, nice work.

How's Fishy2 doing? I'd hate to be separated from all of my Fishy2's. Glad you can still make it out there though.
"Country Angler" - '93 Trophy 2002 - Cold water boat
"Strike Three" - '04 Triton SF21 - Warm water boat
"The Dumpster" - '90 Starcraft SF14 - Camping Boat

Jack
bootstrap
Species: walleye & perch

Post by bootstrap »

nice catch matt. what spoon you using, krocs?