Fleas

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Fleas

Post by Fishinpole »

Any one have a report on the Flea problem in Willsboro bay and the 4 Brothers ? Looking to fish this weekend. THANKS
digitroll (ron)

Re: Fleas

Post by digitroll (ron) »

They were bad in those areas up till recently. I bring along my Ontario rods spooled with 30 lb as a backup plan. The 12 lb light rods load up really fast. Seems there has been another hatch in the last few weeks and the main lake has been hit very bad. Good to have a backup plan. Nothing worse than having 12 lb down 10 minutes and have them loaded and I mean loaded with gobs. Stripping the lines the goop gets over everything ie. transom / motor and in the boat.

Worse than using scent on lures and the mess that creates something I have stopped using a year and a half ago just for that very reason. Very happy with a scent free clean boat and gear. LOL

Plan for the worst and be ready to change out rods if necessary.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Worse than using scent on lures and the mess that creates something I have stopped using a year and a half ago just for that very reason. Very happy with a scent free clean boat and gear. LOL
I can't imagine how much scent you must have been using?? A spray bottle with a small amount of Joy Dish Washing liquid mixed with water should easily remove the oil base of the scents ... if scent is applied in moderation! I would guess that you also don't ever set a net down on the gunnel or floor after landing a fish either or have a large King ever flopping on the floor. As someone who has always used scents and sells them as well, IMO, you are being a little tough on the "whiff" factor when it sometimes causes fish to "hang" on for that fraction of a second longer that may really improve hookups at times.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
digitroll (ron)

It gets on the rod handles the reel handles the rods from tip to rod on the glass. Very messy stuff. Gets on the transom and the gunnels in the trax systems. Our catch rate hasn't really changed much since I gave it up. Probably using too much as you mentioned. I typically release fish unless someone wants one to keep on my boat. So they are handled on the transom or released with needle nose with pliers no net. I know several others that have given up the scent application for that reason cited and thought I would give it a try. So far so good. Jumped on that bandwagon.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

What fun.... cleaning these Fishhook Water Fleas off the line to be able to reel. Broad Lake Shelburne today.
Bill
"POINTER"
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:It gets on the rod handles the reel handles the rods from tip to rod on the glass. Very messy stuff. Gets on the transom and the gunnels in the trax systems. Our catch rate hasn't really changed much since I gave it up. Probably using too much as you mentioned.
PROBABLY?? :lol: You have got to be kidding. :?
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
digitroll (ron)

Hopefully Bill the flea population will die off soon. We went thru a cycle 4-6 weeks ago and things improved to the point we didn't need 30 lb test. Now there seemed to be another hatch of them or cycle on the main lake.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

We fished Shelburne Bay Saturday. First time out in over a month. Could not believe how bad the fleas were. Lost a couple lake trout because of them. Heading to Lake Ontario the weekend after Labor Day. Yeehaw!
ReelInvestment
Species: Salmon/lake trout

Post by ReelInvestment »

I’ll be out on Ontario the week after Labor Day too! Do you launch out of Wright’s?
digitroll (ron)

We will be out too! Little Salmon River..... No Fleas! Many Kings!

Some of your are familiar with this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmxx4_oAVXc
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:We will be out too! Little Salmon River..... No Fleas! Many Kings!

Some of your are familiar with this sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmxx4_oAVXc
That's when we usually start turning the boat so we and the fish aren't going opposite directions! Although we did double up a couple of years ago and I had the 2nd fish, on a dipsy. Had to just let it run until the first one was in the boat so we didn't cause ourselves any grief. It was a 29lber, too! My arms were TIRED after that!

I'll be out there from 8/28-9/4, out of the Salmon. Good luck everyone!
digitroll (ron)

Aboard the Fish Doctor in July 4 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-Nr7hGH2c
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Anyone have issues with Fleas in the Inland Sea?
I haven't been up that way in awhile, just wondering.
digitroll (ron)

Fleas are 10% of what they were the last 3-4 weeks out of Converse Thursday. Back to my 12 lb test rods with a little to clean off but not enough to jam the rod tip end. Should be good now till Christmas with water cooling.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

thats good news thanks Ron