Middlebury RV DAVID FOLGER News

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Middlebury RV DAVID FOLGER News

Post by popster »

Middlebury College’s Research Vessel, DAVID FOLGER has recently returned to Lake Champlain following a month long journey via Erie Canal to Seneca Lake, NY. for a project that involved bathymetric mapping, searching for shipwrecks and sub bottom profiling.
FOLGER research team consisted of Middlebury’s Tom Manley and Rich Furbush as well as Art Cohn from the Champlain Maritime Museum and others.

Check out the NY State Parks Blog about the Seneca Lake project:

https://nystateparks.blog/2019/07/30/se ... y-secrets/
Bill
"POINTER"
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Re: Middlebury RV DAVID FOLGER News

Post by Cas »

Good read, interesting stuff. I spent a day aboard the RV David Folger a couple years ago, a really impressive suite of hardware and software they have aboard. Both Tom Manley and Dick Furbush were great explaining everything they do. Thanks for sharing.
________
Mike
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

The older vessel, the Baldwin, has been on the hard all season. Sold to Greensea? Any plans?
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

The former Middlebury Research Vessel, BALDWIN, a 32' Lobster hull, was given or sold and is on a private mooring on Thompson Pt in Town Farm Bay.

On another note: Rumor has it that this is the last season on Champlain for the 9-year old, RV DAVID FOLGER.
The word on the docks is that the vessel is being "transferred" and will not be used for research on Lake Champlain after this season.
Guess Middlebury College thinks that no further Lake research is needed and that is puzzling and cannot be popular with Lake Champlain researchers.

Sounds pretty fishy. What's up with that, Middlebury?

Interesting 2014 Environmental Monitor article
"The R/V David Folger was funded by a $1.7 million grant through the National Science Foundation from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act."
https://www.fondriest.com/news/rv-david ... mplain.htm
Bill
"POINTER"
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Sure, bang on Middlebury. I just wish they had these programs when I attended as they'd seldom kept me on campus. Serious question though, as tech develops and becomes more sophisticated, how soon before boat sonar is replaced by a flyover drone which is more cost effective yet provides equal or better results? We might have an educated guess, but I'd bet that Ben at GreenSea and similar others have a more realistic future horizon.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

popster wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 am The former Middlebury Research Vessel, BALDWIN, a 32' Lobster hull, was given or sold and is on a private mooring on Thompson Pt in Town Farm Bay.

On another note: Rumor has it that this is the last season on Champlain for the 9-year old, RV DAVID FOLGER.
The word on the docks is that the vessel is being "transferred" and will not be used for research on Lake Champlain after this season.
Guess Middlebury College thinks that no further Lake research is needed and that is puzzling and cannot be popular with Lake Champlain researchers.

Sounds pretty fishy. What's up with that, Middlebury?

Interesting 2014 Environmental Monitor article
"The R/V David Folger was funded by a $1.7 million grant through the National Science Foundation from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act."
https://www.fondriest.com/news/rv-david ... mplain.htm

They probably can’t afford the fuel at today’s prices…
Matt B
stubborn1vt
Species: panfish

Post by stubborn1vt »

Why is it Middlebury's responsibility to research Champlain? Did I miss something?
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

stubborn1vt wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:46 pm Why is it Middlebury's responsibility to research Champlain? Did I miss something?
Middlebury College, not the town of Middlebury
stubborn1vt
Species: panfish

Post by stubborn1vt »

I got that. Middlebury College is a private institution. Why should they be responsible for funding research on Lake Champlain? I guess everyone needs something to complain about.