Summer Bass Fishing

Check and share here for the latest Bass fishing reports.
the_doctor
Species: Whatever's biting

Summer Bass Fishing

Post by the_doctor »

Well, I think the old thread, "Slow Start Bassin'", no longer applies because the fishing is finally getting fast, two months into my open-water season. Hit the Outer Bay early on Saturday morning with water at 68° or even warmer in some spots. Started fishing at about 6:30 and my buddy had a smallmouth in the boat before the clock hit 7. A few minutes later, a big pike hits the big crankbait about 2 feet away from the boat. Had him on for just a hot second but he shook loose while we were going for the net.
In the next spot I caught a little smallmouth, followed by my first largemouth of the season. Not a big one but we'll take it. Here we saw emerging vegetation up against a section of rocky bottom: perfect! I also hooked another BBP (Big Brave Perch™) on the crankbait. Sadly, at around 9AM the wind started to pick up and we were off the water for a late breakfast by 10. However, this little period really made me feel optimistic, because this was a new spot that we pretty much just drifted into at random, and still we caught fish quickly. I hope it's more than luck-- I hope it means the bite is on!
After a few weeks off the crankbait game is back on, with all our fish coming on the hard minnows. We are now throwing the crankbaits with the smaller lips for a little shallower dive and working them right up against the shore. Don't be afraid of flashy bright blues, reds, and purples for your crankbaits because that's been what's worked.
Plenty of perch, rock bass, dink smallmouth, and the occasional pike also have been caught shore fishing at home. Enjoy the bite while it lasts because the heat is here! We have been catching most fish from 4:30-7AM and especially 8:30-10PM these past weeks. The water is looking very lively with lots of minnows and green weeds. If you live near the water, look for a school of jumping minnows around 9PM and toss a crankbait or spoon into the mix. You won't be dissapointed!
So, we found the bass. Now if someone would just tell me where the big ones are...
tim-lm.jpg
tim-lm.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 7704 times
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: Summer Bass Fishing

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice report. Good to hear the bite was hot.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

A great bass fishing day Lake Champlain yesterday 07/07/2019! Couldn't keep the big bass off the line. Two words: green Senkos! Plenty of smallmouth and largemouth, all around the rocks and weeds as usual. Water temps low to mid 70s, water slightly stained, air about 75 and a perfect light breeze-- forecast said from the NW but seemed like NE to me. And not a cloud in the sky! These are the days we live for.
That's all for today-- just get out there because they are biting! Late afternoon around 4PM until dark was the power hour.

tim-best-bass-07082019.jpg
tim-best-bass-07082019.jpg (88.16 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Go get em Doc!
Matt B
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

~Recent Summer Bass Fishing Updates~
07/25/2019 - 07/28/2019

Bass bite has slowed a little from its "every cast" peak a couple weeks back, but there is still good action. We are finding them a little deeper, in about 15-30 FOW. Also a little more scatted, so drifting or trolling could help find fish.
Smallmouth have been giving awesome fights lately; I've had more than a few jump what seemed like 10 feet up in the air and shake the hook! My very lucky, I mean skilled, fishing buddy also got a nice pike.

Water is a little cooler after the rain, about 73°F yesterday vs. 77-80°F at its peak last week. See my previous posts for baits, I use the same 3-4 lures all year for bass and rarely have to change it up.

As for me, I have a lot of work coming up in August, so probably less fishing. But once I am done I will have more money for some gear upgrades!! I now have a small boat and trolling motor, so hopefully you will see me posting in the Trout and Salmon section soon enough!!
tim-bass07282019.jpg
tim-bass07282019.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
pike07282019.jpg
pike07282019.jpg (71.83 KiB) Viewed 7195 times
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks is for the update... remember when you switch to salmon.. the Lite Bite Slide diver will be your best friend in a little tiller boat.

There used to be a guy named Salmoneye here and he used to mop up salmon in a little red boat... probably caught more salmon in a year than most of us will in a lifetime... he did
Matt B
VTrookie
Species: all

Post by VTrookie »

Ive had a tough couple of weeks on Mallets bay too.