Carmi Advice

Check and share here for the latest ice fishing reports!
CatchandRelease
Species: all species

Carmi Advice

Post by CatchandRelease »

Planning a trip to Carmi this Sat. (Feb 2). Maiden voyage...never been and have never caught a walleye (I see Carmi specific length regs are in order) through a hole in the ice. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, trade it for a beer and a good joke....both can be exchanged on Carmi. We'll have a gray, portable Shappell shanty.
Two simple questions:

best access to the ice is always a good start - through the state park?
depth of water to shoot for? - bathometic maps are great!!

Any additional advice is icing on the cake. Thanks for your two cents.

fishing a lot....catching a few...
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Re: Carmi Advice

Post by fishhuntadventure »

An OK map of the basic contours on Carmi can be had on the State website. Bathymetry is too generous a word. Carmi is way more complex and the structure variances fascinating but that map doesn't show any of that. Print it out - make notes and GPS coords and it will become useful.

You can access three or four commonly used areas from the State Park. The north end can get you to at least two other important spots, but either way, it's a LONG hike from there or the SP to some good areas. You'll see the shanties grouped around the northern bay's "hot spot" but I hear stories of plenty of good perch not near the shanties by those with a flasher.

If I sound vague it is because I have never ice fished there- only heard a lot of stories.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
CatchandRelease
Species: all species

Re: Carmi Advice

Post by CatchandRelease »

Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to a full day on the ice with Surf & Turf.