Walleye Questions

keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Walleye Questions

Post by keithm87 »

Haha there is a can of WD-40 that lives right under my downriggers... On days when nothing works and I am struggling with lakers a quick spray of the ball and cable usually will get us some action, and it keeps things from squeaking which is an added benefit!
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

What?!? WD-40?? I've never heard of such a thing. live and learn, live and learn.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
TooBitts
Species: All Species

Post by TooBitts »

Simulates the oil slick a large school of exited bait would produce, in my opinion. I have never tried it but I heard it works great for perch summer and winter sprayed on bibbits. Just what I have heard.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Yeah I think that is the concept for it. I have a small 2oz can in the boat that has been in the boat for 3 years now. Only comes out on the rare occasion that nothing works. A little bit goes a long way, quick single press of the spray nozzle and drop it down. It doesn't stay on super long (especially when compared to new scents like pro-cure) and it is probably not the most enviro friendly method, but I figure my 4 stroke produces 90% less water and air pollution than a 2 stroke so I don't feel super bad spraying 1/10 tsp of wd-40 on a rigger ball and cable.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I have heard that the top secret formula of WD 40, is based on the chemical equivalence of fish oil, so you may not be polluting that much.
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Created for water displacment on tank tracks in World War 1
A White
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Cant be any worse than the slicks coming off my light tackle weights, straight out of the package, from china! used to live rig ect... new tin jobs. Not been very happy. Soak them in "stinky" juice to cure and cerode ....
A White
Bulldogbish
Species: Salmon, Lakers

Post by Bulldogbish »

We would be the only guys catching cod on the party boats using a spray of WD-40. Never crossed my mind to use it for salmon/lakers.

Anyone ever tip the spoon with powerbait/worm or equivalent? I have heard of doing with this for browns with a salmon egg.