walleyes

Sawyer
Species: All

Re: walleyes

Post by Sawyer »

For me it's been hard to get back into fishing for walleyes like i did back in the 70's. We were spoiled. Even back then the techniques for catching walleyes was different from the southern end were i did most of my fishing to the North end were the water was clear. Down south we would troll with spinners and a nightcrawler. some times a stick bait. Early evening was the best time but when it got dark the fish stopped feeding. Some times we would go up buy Burlington and fish after dark and have good success. I would like to start fishing for Eyes more seriously starting this spring so i hope i can get some advice on some techniques.
(Strange Eyes) thanks for bring the Walleye topic back to life. i hope you and others can post some of your walleye photos on the forum. It gives us encouragement to keep trying
Strange 'Eyes
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Strange 'Eyes »

Here are just a few to encourage those interested in getting out there. I tried to upload some release videos but couldn't seem to figure out how to.
Attachments
IMG_1429.jpg
IMG_1133.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Very impressive Eyes. Thanks for sharing. I'm Looking forward to seeing and reading more of your post.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I agree with Sawyer, nice walleyes. I have never been a walleye fisherman, but I am interested in giving it a try. It seems like the waters of Champlain should hold plenty of them. I did catch one 6 pounder while trolling for salmon a few years ago in outer mallets bay. It would be helpful if those who know how to fish for them would help out with some general information such as: can I catch them in the lake in the spring or am I better off in the rivers? How deep are they in the spring? Weeds or rocks? I heard that if you troll for them, you have to go very slow ~ 1 mph. How do you locate walleye if you are just starting out. Sorry for all the questions, but I am starting from scratch.

Tight lines!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Greenhorn wrote:I agree with Sawyer, nice walleyes. I have never been a walleye fisherman, but I am interested in giving it a try. It seems like the waters of Champlain should hold plenty of them. I did catch one 6 pounder while trolling for salmon a few years ago in outer mallets bay. It would be helpful if those who know how to fish for them would help out with some general information such as: can I catch them in the lake in the spring or am I better off in the rivers? How deep are they in the spring? Weeds or rocks? I heard that if you troll for them, you have to go very slow ~ 1 mph. How do you locate walleye if you are just starting out. Sorry for all the questions, but I am starting from scratch.

Tight lines!
Agree, I've watched tons of YouTube videos on walleyes, but nothing that gives good info on Lake Champlain tactics. I'm not sure what they do in the Great Lakes apply well to our lake.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Bay of Quinte
Attachments
LCU2.jpg
Wallyandre (Andre)

Another one
André9lbs..jpg
Wallyandre (Andre)

20161012_140710_resized.jpg
Wallyandre (Andre)

048.JPG
046.JPG
049.JPG
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Very nice fish guys! Thumbs up. I have been out a few times down here southern Vermont. Jan 20 was my first outting and connected with a 29" and a 27" within minutes of each other. I have yet to figure out how to post my pictures thru photo bucket.... can't seem to figure out how to reduce the pixel size. Great pics from you guys tho. Thanks for sharing some walleye info. Hope to possible catch my first Champlain eye this year.
A White
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Hey River Rat, I have found by accident, that if you have someone text the pic to you, or even text it to someone else, then send it to your gallery, from your messaging app, you should be able to use the attach files feature in the fishing reports forum. Somehow texting the pic reduces the number of pixels. You don't have to use any other sharing site.
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Thank you C-hawk. I'll give it a shot. I talk frequently with a few guys up in your neck of the woods and sent them pics. I'd love to share. This an an excellent forum and I believe even the saltiest vets enjoy it as well as even pick up a few hard earned tricks from others. Thanks again
A. White
A White
The River Rat

Post by The River Rat »

Vise versa
A White
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Try casting off the reefs after dark with deep diver rebels or other similar baits with your anchored boat in 10-12 feet of water casting shallower toward the reef or buoy/can. Stave Island cans / Ball Island Can / Ferris Rock / Juniper ledge can / Schuyler reef can / Scotch Bonnet can or the other two cans near Juniper and cans marked on the navigation map south to Sloop. Look at your charts where there are any structure marked by navigation buoys near deep water. Many times it's later that the fish are there after 10 pm. Summer to early Fall strategies.

In the spring near the Colchester fill on the Bay side many bass fishermen catch walleye and Thayer's reef and the opening up by the North Hero fill opposite Carey Bay to the main lake across from Isle La Motte trolling during May at dusk and after sunset on the outside main lake side near that opening. The Gut (drawbridge) is a good May area as well with walleye being caught there by bass fishermen.

I have heard of guys catching walleye's in 50-70 feet of water dragging bottom similar to fishing lake trout on the big north / south reef off the Lamoille river in July during the day!

Our definition or benchmark for a trophy was 9 lbs back in the early 80's. With alewife's now feeding these fish and much less angling pressure / some catch and release / Walleye club stocking with more success and the Fish n Game targeting specific river strains to stock in those same river systems has created a lot more big fish opportunities. Today that benchmark trophy fish is probably double digit 10-11 lbs. that is the one anglers spend many hours to achieve not the 7-8 lb. fish that if released will have a chance to get to double digits.
Strange 'Eyes
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Strange 'Eyes »

Thanks Digitroll! Sounds like fishing structure can be productive!

I'd love to hear more about those 10-11lb fish being caught out of boats. To get one around here that big it will be prespawn and most likely caught during Ice Fishing season. Here are results from the biggest walleye derbies on lake Champlain last year:

Datillios - Over 9 lbs was winner but no exact # for this one.
Rotary - 8 lb 13 oz winning walleye
LCI Fathers Day - 8 lb 8.1 oz winning walleye
LCI Basin - 9 lb 5.3 oz winning as of 3/5/18 (this alone proves there just are not that many 10+lb walleye swimming around the lake)
Island Ice Fishing Derby - 10 lb 5.3 oz winning walleye

I don't recommend any fish be kept. Catch and release on all fish over 20" if you really want to eat one, the smaller the better and when you catch a "trophy" get the measurements a good picture and send her back to be caught again. A replica mount is better than a real one anyway.

Enjoy any walleye you catch over 5lbs