DYP report

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

DYP report

Post by keithm87 »

Hit the water today for the DYP with Heartbeat. I arrived at 4:55 to find him prepping the boat and a line of 4 boats ahead of us to launch. After a very uneventful (for my converse standards) launch we talked about where to head. Having read the report of slow fishing from 4/26 in townfarm, we decided to head across the lake.

We found temps in the 39-40 range which we knew would be cooler than elsewhere, but decided to give it a shot. We set out planers with stick baits on both sides, and no sooner did I set my first line with a baby brook pattern yo zuri, we had a fish on. Pulled in a decent mid 20's laker that went in the well for a buddy.
trolled further into Whalon's and had another hit on the other side on a green stick bait, but the fish got off while Heartbeat tried to move another rod and maintain tension. we did a loop back through the same section and the Yo zuri fired again. I grabbed the rod, and started to reel. The fish stayed down and did not fight. I assumed laker until it was within 20 feet of the boat and I saw it. A BIG salmon!!!! if head shook, but stayed down. Into the net it went and we were sure we had the derby winner! Weighed it at 6lb.
trolled through that section again with another hit before action died. Moved out of the bay to split rock and had a hit, Heartbeat landed a nice little 20ish salmon we looped that area for a while with hits almost every time, but only landed one more laker had a few nice hookups come off. trolled till about 1 and decided to go in to beat the crowd.

reached the launch and found the crowd! Met Black Ghost and Greenhorn at the dock who asked about our luck and we bragged about our 6lber. They then broke the news that they had a 26 incher that had not been weighed. At 2 we weighed in and the suspense was killing me. Ours weighed in first at 6lb on the nose. A high bar was set, and promptly destroyed by the beautiful 6lb 7oz fish that Black Ghost weighed in. Had some great food and met a bunch of members. All in all a great day, and it left me looking forward to next year!
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Re: DYP report

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

Nice report Keith. And nice fish! It looks like we started a classic rivalry today.

Thanks to Greenhorn - my net man.
Black Ghost (Ken)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Congratulations, you are both winners! ( But Ken a little more so)
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Both fantastic silvers. Congrats to Team Black Ghost/Greenhorn with the big 'un. Big fish and big smiles. Great day.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

sweet fish and congrats to both teams!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Great report and pictures. Thanks Keith and thanks to all who helped coordinate the DYP. Personal thanks to Controlled chaos who partnered with me.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

7th DYP in the books.
Always a fun event.
Thanks Dean for pulling off another fun event.
Congratulations to both Ken and Keith for the beautiful Salmon they turned in
Bill
"POINTER"
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Fun time and little better bite.... Went 8 for 10 today and only one was a laker. A nice 30" 8+ Lber

2 we missed were the biggest fish of the day and 2 of the salmon we kept were in the 4 lb slot. River rat seemed to have a good time aboard Reelax as I only realed in one fish all day, and he went home with some nice fillets...

Good to meet you Andy, and thanks for making the 3hr trip from Vernon for the event. For us, it was a spoon bite with only one fish coming from a stick and one on a dodger and fly... Nice temps around 55 found in Town Farm! It's on!

Great time at the BBQ, good to meet all the new faces and swap fishin stories. Nothing like fried walley and laughs to add years to the sole..

Fish on!
Matt B
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Just fished my first DYP and ended up having an absolute blast as well as enjoying a heck of a good bite, during the tournament and after at the bbq as well! I can't thank Matt B. enough for allowing me to run gear all day aboard his boat REELAX! Had a great time meeting some great people at a great event! Thanks Dean for a great show
Thanks again Matt!
A White
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats to all the participants, and hats off to Black Ghost /Greenhorn for catching the heaviest one.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Sounds perfect ... plenty of fish (quality fish) ... good weather ... good food ... and good company! Congrats to all with special recognition to Black Ghost /Greenhorn ... 6lb7oz is a great fish.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Heartbeat
Species: Salmon

Post by Heartbeat »

Congrats to Black Ghost/Greenhorn. Beautiful Fish. I had a great time fishing with Keithm87. Well said Keith and nice pictures.
Can't wait until next year.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Looks as though everyone had a great time. Thanks for the report Keith. Congrats to Black Ghost/Greenhorn!
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Congrats to all! Looks like a great day was had by all!
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Big thanks to Dean for putting on a great event! Same to Wayne for taking me out on my first troll! We got into a few fish early on, nothing to enter (two smaller silvers, a lake trout, and a northern). Had a blast! Thanks again!