Lake Huron Landlock committment...

Share info and fishing reports from waters other than Lake Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Lake Huron Landlock committment...

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I will have to start bringing my landlock tackle in a few years on our August family trip.

http://www.glangler.com/_blog/Great_Lak ... ic_Salmon/
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Lake Huron Landlock committment...

Post by raz »

Sweet.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Re: Lake Huron Landlock committment...

Post by fishhuntadventure »

...Atlantics are expected to survive where Chinook did not because they are opportunistic feeders. Their diet is more diverse than Chinooks, which only feed on alewives.

The alewife collapse, because of invasive mussels stripping the lake of the plankton they eat, proved good for lake trout, which have flourished since. Alewives contain a compound called thiamanse, which interferes with lake trout reproductive success. Once the alewives disappeared, the lake trout population grew again...
They seem to be operating under the suspicion that Landlocks are less impacted by the alewife. But they are still negatively impacted. After watching the interesting video posted RE: lake trout in Champlain the other day, and understanding that there is a two-pronged impact of alewives on lakers and salmonids (i.e. predation on sportfish fry and fingerlings plus the biologic harm of thiamine deficiency which limits or prevents spawning success) I wonder what this means for Champlain.

Maybe we need to legalize a netting season on alewives for commercial purposes and Vermont can start canning Colchester Kippers?! LOL
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!