Fin and Feather weekend and the Shootout Afternoon

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Fin and Feather weekend and the Shootout Afternoon

Post by vtfishin »

We wanted to make the shoot out but a big Friday got in our way...

I have been getting my nephew out hunting (bow) and teaching him about hunting, guns and the like. Whenever I can get together with my brother and nephew we try and plan something fun and outside, fishing, hunting...

Friday morning I took a vacation day and talked them into joining me. We went and shot clays all morning

I had some trouble with the pump (can anyone recommend a decent gunsmith in the area? I used to go to Louie LeBerg) so Joel had his handy SKB along to loan my nephew Bobby. In the afternoon we moved from clays to birds

What a blast. Bob shot his first bird over a dog and had a great day getting more. We hung out for a while and my wife had a feast ready for us when we got home. Long day and late night turned into a later start in the am. We got up and around Saturday because we wanted to get out and fish the Frostbite. Our late start got later due to some technical difficulties... We arrived just as everyone was headed to the weigh in. We talked to Ben at the ramp and headed out.

We didn't have much time so we rode the waves out toward Thompson's

We set up and got after it...We caught a small laker right off the bat off the planers boards dragging a orange and gold (crazy ivan?) at 40'

...as we were resetting we got another hit off the planer boards at 20' on a bomb pop (yep, if Crazy Ivan told me to jump off a bridge, I would consider it...hey, he catches fish...lots of em...), 17" salmon

We saw Claude (I think, it was a fancy-dancy Lund with Nascar paint on the side...nice boat for sure!) and he left to head in toward the weight in.

Trolled another pass and nothing so we trolled back toward Garden Island as we have had luck there in the past but no one home. We headed back to the area we were catching fish and bam! another salmon19" that put on an aerial show as my brother reeled in his 1st November fish! ...off the rigger on a white backed black and orange honey bee (I think) this one 25' down.

We tried all sorts of speeds and lures but we only had about 3 hours. In the end we hit 6 salmon, 4 lakers and a cisco. The salmon all came around 25' and were 17'-19". The bomb pop caught a laker and salmon. The lakers were down around 30-40' salmon 20-30...mostly off the boards with dipseys...all around thompson pt...lots of bait in that area in the afternoon

we switched often but the lures that did the trick are standing up in the back:

I was bummed we couldn't make it over to the shootout, but I was determined to fish and just managing to get out on the lake was the best we could do. Congratulations to Fishdawg, wish we could have hooked one of those and gotten over to meet some of you folks!! Saw many boats after the weigh-in so looked like a great turnout...

Tonight we are having bacon wrapped Pheasant:

and pheasant potpie (about to go in the oven)

Hoping for venison steaks next weekend!
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Re: Fin and Feather weekend and the Shootout Afternoon

Post by fishhuntadventure »

You did better than most of us in the Shootout!
Nice report and that honeybee looks like the ticket. Black has worked out earlier this season too.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Wow...what a great weekend. And I thought mine was cool?
It's been a long, long time since I've eaten pheasant, sounds so good, I bet that potpie was to die for!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Dockside

Post by Dockside »

Whackin' and stackin!!!! Birds, fish and fun!
plantstone

Post by plantstone »

Triple thumbs Up! WTG
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Post by mac »

Fun weekend for sure! Hopefully this coming weekend is Fur and Fin weekend.