fishing with hairbone (harry) for a mixed bag.

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

fishing with hairbone (harry) for a mixed bag.

Post by fishy1 »

8/27/2016 started fishing with harry this morning approx 6:30 am or so for salmon and lakers and 7:10 am i landed a nice salmon which was right around 5lbs will post a pic. then harry landed a cookie cutter about 10 minutes later. then made a long pass and had surface weeds problems and no releases. then harry said you ready to go shallow for some warm water action i said lets do it. so we skipped over to the vermont side of the lake and set up two dipseys rods and 2 on the riggers in 30 fow . harrys plan was to make a long run and then back. wasnt long fish on i land a nice smallmouth bass . as harry was letting the line out he grabbed the line to put the release on his arms jerked forward very quickly and fish on and a big one. dont know how long harry fought this fish but it was a blast for him and i anticipating what was on the other end of the line. turned out to be a sheephead the biggest of harrys life and his smile and laugh said it all. took some quick pics and released it back to the water. not long after another fish on and my turn i land another 6 or 7 lb sheephead. landed 2 more smallmouth and 2 yellow perch and one white perch on that pass and then decided to change it up and go jigging for lakers. found a hump with some fish near bottom in 90 fow and started jigging. harry rolled one over soon after we started then another but no takers. then as i was jigging upward had a real strong hit and i missed it turned out my only hit jigging and harry had one more . just before we left in another spot harry landed a white perch. cant remember the spoon that was hot but harry said its the ist fish he has caught on that spoon.
here is my nice salmon.
had a blast with harry today and would like to thank him for taking me out again on his well equipped beautiful boat. my son was supposed to go also but had a late night and couldnt make it and missed a fun day on the water with harry.

Imageimage hosting site

here is harry with his biggest sheephead ever.

Imagehost image online
another pic of me with a nice smallmouth bass.

Imageimage hosting gif
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: fishing with hairbone (harry) for a mixed bag.

Post by Reelax »

Nice day.... Thinking of doing the same next time out. Took all morning to scare up a 20" salmon on the IS today with lightandvariable... Lots of weeds there too..
Matt B
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Matty's salmon came off the purple church revelator flasher with purple/blue peanut fly down 86.

Most of the warm water fish came off orange mini dipsy with a michigan stinger charlie brown.

Also took a few hits on the old standby perch pattern.

Always a pleasure having Matt out on the pond.
Joe Mott
Species: all

Post by Joe Mott »

nice catches, i cant wait to get my boat done. its getting close
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Wish I was with you guys, sounds like a fun day, thanks for the sneak peak at the pix before posting. ;)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your always enjoyable posts. You and Harry had a great time on the water. Happy to see Harry with his huge sheephead.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time! Fish on!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Trolling for sheephead, now I've seen everything. Maybe you're on to something. Nice catches
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Nice Report thanks for sharing with us that sheephead is a neat catch, I've never had the opportunity
to get bit by one while on the lake. do they tend to mingle with the perch and bass..?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Smitty wrote:Nice Report thanks for sharing with us that sheephead is a neat catch, I've never had the opportunity
to get bit by one while on the lake. do they tend to mingle with the perch and bass..?
i always have fished them shallow along rocky shores or even out in the channel on this end of lake in 4 to 13 fow. these yesterday were caught trolling in 30 fow. they feed mostly on zebra mussels so im guessing there are lots where we caught these in port henry area. would like to hear from the cold water trollers if they have caught them in deeper water. im guessing they compete with perch for the zebra mussels.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:Trolling for sheephead, now I've seen everything. Maybe you're on to something. Nice catches

I know some guys who have caught them trolling spoons behind their kayaks.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i bet they moved those kayaks around. :lol:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:Trolling for sheephead, now I've seen everything. Maybe you're on to something. Nice catches
jeff wished you could have seen harrys face when he landed that hog sheephead. :D
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Nice post. Looks like you guys had a blast.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

I am going to try again this weekend for sheephead. Hope the floating weeds are less.