VHF technical: Help Wanted

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

VHF technical: Help Wanted

Post by fishhuntadventure »

I need a hand with my VHF on-board. Trying to decide if this radio is junk or not, or if the antenna was defective (was brand new when I installed it, or if the solder connection is faulty (which I doubt because I very carefully soldered it myself).

Are any of you hams with a good handle on the technical?

I need the output from the final signal amp tested on my marine radio.
I need the SWR tested for my antenna.
I need an opinion on proximity to aluminum window frame and bimini top tubes.

I know what those three above are in basic terms but haven't dealt with any of this since CB days in the 80s... But the last task I was told I needed was I need my coax and connectors "read." (Does he mean check them for "leaks?!")

The last piece that was mentioned was to check voltage while broadcasting. I can and will do that myself but to be honest I doubt that is an issue as the power supply comes up a 10 gauge feeder from the battery to a terminal block and all connections are either soldered or at the terminal block. All the negatives are connected to another terminal block with a heavy home run back to the battery negative.

I got this advice from a radio guru from the Land of Fruits and Nuts - I mean California- and he tells me to check the above and either fix or throw out the faulty part. I have had three radios (one I bought and two were gifted to me and each one had reception and broadcast issues and the current is the worst (gotten worse over time) so at this point I suspect the antenna or the RG58 but I would like to know the problem before I start throwing money at it. Especially if antenna location or the PL259 has anything to do with it.

He suggested I should contact a heavily involved ham in my area and trade him a pizza for 20 minutes of his time on the above four areas. I figured I would give it a shot!

Any hams want a pizza?

Thanks - Mark 802-279-1680
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Re: VHF technical: Help Wanted

Post by Gray Ghost »

A link that will address your questions:http://www.catfleet21.org/rigging/June.htm

Good luck
Gus
Tight Lines
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

Thanks 'ghost. Good info.

Still need someone skilled with a VHF SWR meter however as I don't plan to buy one.
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie
The Point: You need to ask?!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

last time I had a problem with my radio I took it out and put it in a friends boat(temporarily) and it worked fine with HIS antenna