7/17/2016 jimmer harry and i

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

7/17/2016 jimmer harry and i

Post by fishy1 »

jimmer invited harry and i out fishing for salmon and lakers for the day. harry could only fish 3 hours so we launched out of westport and headed north. 3 hours 2 releases and some surface weeds. dropped harry off at the launch and jimmer and i headed south to fish some 90 fow that has been holding lots of bait fish. set up around 10:30 am and started marking fish and bait balls in the 123 fow of water and it continued in the 90 fow . had two rods set up for lakers and 2 for salmon. wasnt long the salmon rod fired and fish on. jimmer landed a nice salmon short while later the other salmon rod fired and my turn on the rod and fish on then with one mighty super leap at least 3 feet up and 3 feet over it did a belly flop and shook loose. what a great feeling for jimmer and i both to see that mighty leap. looked like at least a 5lb salmon. then approx half hour later had a rod fire and jimmer struggled getting it up and to the net. thinking laker all the way did we ever get a surprise after the battle won by jimmer and 4 lb 9 ounce brown caught on his very own lure he had just painted yesterday. harry had given us one of his special speedy shiner and jimmer put it on. had that one fire soon after putting it on and fish on i land a nice 21 inch salmon. now for the kicker and it seems like its happening alot to me this year. (miracles) not paying attention i ran the rods through a bunch of surface weeds right in the middle of the jimmers boat. so we were going to have to pull all rods in. jimmer took the farthest one on the left ist and what we thought was weeds was actually a hit and it broke the snap on the the leader. so i started to reel the 2nd rod on the left and it kept pulling back on me and jimmer was reeling the 3rd one on the right and he kept saying i think somethings not right here with these weeds and im feeling your pull. we kept reeling and finally decided we were hooked together then to our surprise we had a nice salmon on and we were both reeling it in. then it became chaos. thinking we both had the fish we were absolutly stunned to see what we had in the net. the fish had the 2nd line i was pulling in wrapped around the speedy shiners treble hooks the speedy shiner hooks in the salmons mouth and also the other lure it broke off the ist rod was also in its mouth. it broke the ist rods line crossed over the second rods line and nailed the 3rd rods line with the speedy shiner. and all we thought we had on were weeds. jimmer and i were just shaking our head in disbelief. jimmer got his evil eye back the speedy shiner and nice 4.2 lb salmon . ended up cutting both leaders in that tangled mess. jimmer and i will never forget this . ended up with 4 salmon and 1 brown and lost 2 all in that 90 fow in a couple of hours. what a finish. thanks harry for the speedy shiner and thanks jimmer for taking me out fishing. enjoyed both harrys and jimmers company.
jimmers 4.9 lb brown that put up a great fight

Imageupload imagem
after taking the salmon off here is how it was hooked in the mouth plus another rods line wrapped around.

Imagephoto hosting sites
here is jimmer and i with the 4.2 lb salmon that we thought we both caught plus the evil eye he broke off the ist rod in its mouth also.

Imageposted image

not a great pic of the salmon for some reason.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: 7/17/2016 jimmer harry and i

Post by jimbow »

A one for two-fur...Only you Fishy....You had a good time, caught fish and that's what counts, wish I was with you guys, never a dull moment.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I hope you guys split the fish in two also. You did better than us, just a ten laker.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Homewrecker and I lost a pig on a break off years ago only to catch him 15 min later on another rod with the spoon still in his mouth..

Great story guys.. Thanks for the read... And congrats on the nice fish...
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

C-Hawk wrote:I hope you guys split the fish in two also. You did better than us, just a ten laker.
we sure did one fillet for brenda and one fillet for my bait guy. fmb tackle. im sharing the brown with my granddaughter of course.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:Homewrecker and I lost a pig on a break off years ago only to catch him 15 min later on another rod with the spoon still in his mouth..

Great story guys.. Thanks for the read... And congrats on the nice fish...
was a surprise when you got the lure back wasnt it. just amazin.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Had a fun time! It's truly amazing how some things work out, like getting that spoon back. I would of never guessed it. We got just as much of a thrill watching that nice Salmon Fishy 1 had on leap into the air and throw that spoon and hear him do a smack on that water as we would have by putting him into the net. I haven't fished in a lot of years and have really enjoyed getting back out onto the lake!!! Putting fishing time in with fishy 1 is another story in itself LOL.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Great job guys and glad the fish turned on for you when the sun came out. That speedy shiner color has been a good one :D.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Hairbone wrote:Great job guys and glad the fish turned on for you when the sun came out. That speedy shiner color has been a good one :D.
Yep! Lost one yesterday - had it on a slider and the laker took the pearl magnum on the main line. I was in such a hurry to release the fish at the boat that I didn't realize the speedy shiner/cheater leader was up under the fish's gill plate - he took off, snapped that leader and I lost a hot spoon :( Great report Matt!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:Great job guys and glad the fish turned on for you when the sun came out. That speedy shiner color has been a good one :D.
harry it did wonders thanks for that advice and your speedy shiner. it was on fire. we marked fish on that line the whole time we were there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:
Yep! Lost one yesterday - had it on a slider and the laker took the pearl magnum on the main line. I was in such a hurry to release the fish at the boat that I didn't realize the speedy shiner/cheater leader was up under the fish's gill plate - he took off, snapped that leader and I lost a hot spoon :( Great report Matt!
that stinks doesnt it but luckily most can be replaced. were you out near us or farthur north.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

fishy1 wrote:
harry it did wonders thanks for that advice and your speedy shiner. it was on fire. we marked fish on that line the whole time we were there.
I've even been running two rainbow trout speedy shiners, been my best lure two years in a row.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

That is why this website is invaluable for a lot of us. I had the Speedy rainbow in my hand all weekend and never put on my line! Oh Well
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

The speedy chartreuse has been hot in the sun in the south end of the lake and jeff reports the rainbow speedy up north. We have ran the rainbow speedy down south, but the chartreuse is out fishing it. Purple has been producing early for us as well.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

fishy1 wrote:
Bearcat wrote:
that stinks doesnt it but luckily most can be replaced. were you out near us or farthur north.
Replaced it already! I was fishing in Otsego lake in Cooperstown again. At short notice I couldn't muster up a crew so I stayed close to home. I've also had great luck with rainbow speedys, but if you don't lose them as I did, the finish fades quickly, especially the dark blue/nickel ones which also have done well. Too bad they cant get those colors to hold up better. Might be up tomorrow, just got a bunch of new honey bees that are buzzin to get out of the tackle box.