Got Lakers?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Got Lakers?

Post by tamiron »

fishhuntadventure wrote:
tamiron wrote:...Catch a youngster his first fish on a Honeybee, give it to him, post a picture on the forum, and go to Dockside and pick out three free Honeybees. Just tell Ben, and I'll square it with him. Let's make it good thru the end of September.
Great offer, but two problems.

1st- I just read this tonight but the youngster got the fish yesterday afternoon; picture on my phone. Does that still count?

2nd Ben didn't have anything like the Plantstone Famous Reciprocal Secret Honeybee in stock when we checked recently. So I had to tape this one a little since I lost the original when something big broke off and stole the lure. Used white electrical tape and a piece of orange clearance warning sticker. Does that still count?

And on last thought, how do I get more of the PFRSH pattern after I give Russel my Magic PFRSH!?
No. There are NO problems. He qualifies and you will, if you give it to him, and show the rest of the forum what it was caught on.

One additional modification ... If Ben doesn't have it, check our website to see if it is available and tell Ben what the SKU is. Once every couple of weeks, I'll ship to Ben and include your choices. That makes sure that you get what you are looking for and everybody is happy.

Now as I said to you once before, I'm not kidding about sharing!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tamiron wrote:
fishhuntadventure wrote:
tamiron wrote:...Catch a youngster his first fish on a Honeybee, give it to him, post a picture on the forum, and go to Dockside and pick out three free Honeybees. Just tell Ben, and I'll square it with him. Let's make it good thru the end of September.
Great offer, but two problems.

1st- I just read this tonight but the youngster got the fish yesterday afternoon; picture on my phone. Does that still count?

2nd Ben didn't have anything like the Plantstone Famous Reciprocal Secret Honeybee in stock when we checked recently. So I had to tape this one a little since I lost the original when something big broke off and stole the lure. Used white electrical tape and a piece of orange clearance warning sticker. Does that still count?

And on last thought, how do I get more of the PFRSH pattern after I give Russel my Magic PFRSH!?
No. There are NO problems. He qualifies and you will, if you give it to him, and show the rest of the forum what it was caught on.

One additional modification ... If Ben doesn't have it, check our website to see if it is available and tell Ben what the SKU is. Once every couple of weeks, I'll ship to Ben and include your choices. That makes sure that you get what you are looking for and everybody is happy.

Now as I said to you once before, I'm not kidding about sharing!
I love it.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishhuntadventure
Species: salmon, walleye, trout

Post by fishhuntadventure »

OK- so I have a few days off and finally cross-loaded the hundreds of pics off my phone (harder than it should/needs to be which is why I hadn't done it yet. Fixed that this morning too) and sorted through to find the photos.
Russel with one of the many browns and rainbows
Russel with one of the many browns and rainbows
It was a good afternoon on Waterbury Res with several Champlain-arsenal lures which I developed success using this season producing:
First round draft this summer
First round draft this summer
Below is the "approximation" honeybee I taped up. The original was just white, orange, and chartreuse, and actually had been the one to produce several 24" salmon, probably a dozen or fifteen lakers (2 over 10#), a couple of 20"+ steelhead, and loads of fun!

I had been given the lure a few years ago and in spite of many, many efforts with the thing had never even caught a white perch with it. On a slow morning solo in June it made the rotation; I was marking a lot of fish and even seen surface activity and no takers so I started changing my downrigger bottom and cheater and the Lite Bite every 10 minutes.

Normally I am reluctant to change lures as it frustrates me to not be actively fishing a lure in the water. I know- not a good plan but is my tendency. I popped this on the Lite Bite and had several fish right away. Other lures with similar colors just weren't cutting it. I kept switching everything but the Lite Bite with the honeybee. Finally started getting regular fish over the next month and a half almost all on that honeybee and a black nickel blank I had taped. Those were the "hot ones" most of the summer for me, along with the others pictured. The swiss/BMW lure had fish on the cheater a number of times. The honeybee only produced on the Lite Bite, although I gave it time on the DR.

That honeybee also produced me my best-to-date salmon at almost 8 pounds (of course on the Lite Bite):
{Of course I can't find the pic right now :(}. I had just "preserved" the blue lure after an ancient laker with its lower fins all worn off fought like a tuna off Split Rock in 3 footers amidst Saturday afternoon sailboats... I was going to release the 10#-er (turned out to be over 11# weighed) and it thanked me for the fresh air by leaping out of the net and mouthing my bare ankle:
Ph2012106.jpg
It had me recalling a bit pike once that acted like an alligator and was lunging at me hand every time I tried to reach for it on the floor of the boat. The laker was more docile, grabbing my ankle and biting down. After I kicked it with the other foot it let go and my Vermont Expos billy made him grill fixins'

So without further ado here is the (taped up rendition) of the honeybee in question:
Ph2012August040.jpg
Ph2012August041.jpg
That's jabberjaws shaking down some stuff in his recently launched project.

Russel had been fishing from shore and streams and such with his father, Robert. But he had never trolled or been out in a boat for high-energy equipment dependent presentation-type fishing. This is his first brown trout, and certainly his first fish on a spoon, and definitely his first fish on a honeybee. I have not seen him to give him the lure yet, but I am going to print out this picture and give it to him along with the lure.

I just realized "T" wrote "september." So does this offer continue? I will still need to replace the lure!!!

Nice fish you got there Gerry! Is that my taped-up lure you got there??
Ph2012058.jpg
Ph2012061.jpg
DYP2012
Ph2012August049.jpg
The Office: 1964 Niagara Deluxe, 40hp
Top: I made it
Sonar/GPS: Eagle 480 and Lowrance Elite 5
Line: Seaguar, PowerPro, Excel
Maps: Navionics
Riggers: BigJon
Targets: Salmon, Walleye, more...
Inspiration: Grampa Charlie