fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by Sawyer »

should i ask how a Tinca Taste ?
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:should i ask how a Tinca Taste ?
they are sold commercially in places for food. also they are used for medecine i beleive.
some places they are used for forage for bass.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Hi all, I am new to the forum, but have been a long time reader. Fishy, I really appreciate all of your warm water tales! I am primarily a fly fisherman and enjoy targeting all species.

I just wanted to chime in about your large "golden shiners" you've been catching as of late. I believe those are Common Rudd. Rudd are an invasive just like the tench. I fish out of Chittenden County and have caught a few of them myself. They certainly resemble a large golden shiner!
Mr. Gill
Species: Bluegills

Post by Mr. Gill »

After looking again at the photo I tend to agree with Honest John that it is a Rudd. See the red fin? Classic identifier of Rudd.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

That is a Red Rudd for sure also an invasive species as is the Tench both of which should not be released when they are caught they both could have a huge impact on our native fish. I have seen Red Rudd up to 3 1/2 lbs. and Tench close to 10 lbs. both of these fish seem to hang out where there are sunfish and Blue Gil and they both fight like crazy
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for all this great info i have been wondering about the red fins and the girth on these fish. how did they get here i know how the tench got here. sounds like i have done the wrong thing by releasing them. paul i beleive the rudds get to 3 lbs caught 1 last week that had to be over 1and 1/2 lbs. welcome aboard honest john that is a nice male fish in your avatar.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Captain Paul wrote:That is a Red Rudd for sure also an invasive species as is the Tench both of which should not be released when they are caught they both could have a huge impact on our native fish. I have seen Red Rudd up to 3 1/2 lbs. and Tench close to 10 lbs. both of these fish seem to hang out where there are sunfish and Blue Gil and they both fight like crazy
paul dont catch that many tench fish down here although there are hundreds in the bay i fish. just to much zebra mussels for them to eat. the water there is always stained from the tench fish. if i catch anymore ill be sure to give them away although i dont think ill have an impact on them.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Invasive species[edit]
Rudd were illegally introduced into New Zealand in the 1960s and have been actively spread around the country. They have the potential to irreversibly damage indigenous ecosystems.[2]

Rudd have been reported in the United States at least as early as 1925.[3]

It is unlawful to possess or transport live specimens in the US state of Tennessee.[4]

No person, firm, corporation, partnership, or association shall possess, sell, offer for sale, import, bring, release or cause to be brought or imported into the State of Alabama... Any species of fish “rudd” (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) or “roach” (Rutilus rutilus) or any hybrids of either species.[5] This species was reported in Alabama from First Creek in Lauderdale County, Alabama, ca. 1987.[6]

Identification[edit]
There is a variety of the common rudd, popular among pond-keepers, known as the golden rudd, which has a gold-coloured body.[7]

The rudd can grow to a size of about 45–50 cm with an average of about 25 cm.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

They figure Rudd got here with imported bait and where sold for Golden shiners . The Tench where being raised on Richlieu River( I know spelled that wrong) in Quebec I believe and when the Farm went bankrupt the guy released them is what I have been told.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Captain Paul wrote:They figure Rudd got here with imported bait and where sold for Golden shiners . The Tench where being raised on Richlieu River( I know spelled that wrong) in Quebec I believe and when the Farm went bankrupt the guy released them is what I have been told.
thats what i was told also and it was ontario and they were imported there illegally.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

wayne went up to the creek last night for a couple of hours before dark and landed 6 bowfin missed over 10 and also landed 2 bass and a turtle. he said the fins were hitting as soon as his bait hit the water. good job wayne.
Honest John

Post by Honest John »

Here is a large tench I caught last summer. I haven't caught one this year, but have been seeing lots of them in the shallows while targeting carp and bowfin.

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Honest_John wrote:Here is a large tench I caught last summer. I haven't caught one this year, but have been seeing lots of them in the shallows while targeting carp and bowfin.

thanks for posting. did the tench hit a fly?
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

I'm not sure on the regs for NY, I'll look at them but a couple friends are really interested in havesting TENCH only with a bow, do you folks think it would be easy enough for a day trip down there?
Honest John

Post by Honest John »

fishy1 wrote: thanks for posting. did the tench hit a fly?
I actually caught that one while fishing for bullhead on my spinning gear - put up a great fight on my ultra light!