fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

9/2/2016 north blow today so i joined wayne up north today fishing a creek for bullhead. started fishing with 2 worm rods on bottom at 6:30 am after a 50 minute drive. both rod had bites soon as they hit bottom landed a small bowfin and lost a good size fish on the other. then for the next hour had bites steady and some good ones only to miss most of them. im just shaking my head in disbelief . i did land 2 bullhead and 1 golden shiner. wayne across the other side of the creek and didnt have much action at ist. he did say he was missing some good bites also. about 8:45 am had a nibble and then it straightened the line out and fish on. the biggest golden shiner i ever caught or seen it had to go 1 lb and 1/2. should have taken a pic before releasing it. a guy wayne knows came over and said you will get bigger i looked at him and said are you kidding he said no im here every day and i have seen plenty caught over 2 lbs. that was a shock. soon after i caught another one but not as big but bigger than i ever caught. at around 9:30 am i tossed out a rod and before i could set it down a fish hit so hard it almost pulled the rod out of my hand and still never hooked it. pulled it in and it cleaned the crawler. fished until noon landing 6 bullhead 5 sunnies 6 golden shiner and missed some big fish whatever they were. wayne landed 4 bullhead several sunnies and lost one big fish and missed several very hard hits. wayne looked at me when we were leaving and said matt you never miss many fish what in the world are those fish biting. i said dont know but i will be back to find out . :o
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/4/2016 today i joined my daughter up north for some bullhead fishing and bowfin fishing. started fishing at 9 am in a creek not far from where she lives. caught two bullhead right away and some nice bluegills. then it slowed but got bites steady just couldnt hook them . we were having fun anyhow on a nice day. my daughter landed her ist big bullhead. we missed some big bites to. around 11 am i casted my line out and before it hit bottom in 6 fow my rod doubled over and fish on and a good one. wayne had stopped to visit and started reeling in the other rods . we were all guessing and hoping and pike but it turned out to be about an 8 lb bowfin or so. a great fight on my bullhead rod and my daughter videod the landing of the fin. raz will post the video for me probably tuesday. had a fun day with my daughter landed 6 bullhead and 11 big sunnies and 4 good size golden shiners. wayne and my daughter fished there tonight for a couple of hours for bowfins and missed 5 and wayne lost a big one. they also caught 2 bullhead.
here is the video of the bowfin just before landing it. just click on it.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/5/2016 joined my daughter wayne for some more creek fishing and hoping for my daughter to catch a big bowfin. started out okay with bullhead and some nice big bluegills but then everything stopped. i was telling wayne and my daughter how all of my best bites are when i ist throw it out but miss most. well about ten minutes later i caught a bluegill tossed it back out and when it hit bottom it took off and this time fish on. struggled to get it up then as i got closer it took off on my and was zzzzzzzzzzzzing my drag pretty good wayne and my daughter got up out of the chairs and begin to reel in their lines but i didnt wait and put pressure on the fish with the rod to get him in . what a fight when we finally saw the fish they said what is that. i said a big tench fish with a huge tail. finally landed it and took some quick pics and released it. its also called doctors fish. we fished until noon with very few bites after that. still a fun day with my daughter and wayne . just want to give special thanks to a fisherman who is there every day and has helped my daughter and lots of others taking their fish off and so on. dont think he is on the forum but im hoping forum members will know who he is and thank him for all he does. he is a special fisherman and person and we all call him tag. i have seen him the 3 days i have been there go out of his way to visit and help fisherman out. :D

Imageimage hosting 20mb
Joe Mott
Species: all

Post by Joe Mott »

ive herd them are pretty good, id love to get one to try on the smoker.
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

that's a nice tench!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Nice Tench indeed!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Joe Mott wrote:ive herd them are pretty good, id love to get one to try on the smoker.
joe wayne and i caught 3 more today and released them . pm me your phone # and when we get some more your welcome to them and you can come down and pick them up.
Joe Mott
Species: all

Post by Joe Mott »

thats very nice of you but im way up on the Canada border.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Joe Mott wrote:thats very nice of you but im way up on the Canada border.
i am not that far from you where im catching them.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/6/2016 went back up to the creek this morning and met wayne for some bottom worm fishing again. started slow at 7:15 am but was getting bites but no takers. not a productive morning but still had fun visiting with tag and wayne. we landed 3 tench fish 5 golden shiners 2 bullhead and 4 sunnies. saw some big fish surface for 2 hours early in the morning.
here is wayne with one tench fish.Imageimage share
here i me with a golden shiner that had some spunk.

Imageimage hosting over 5mb
here is a bullhead fisherman at his stance. 8-)

Imagefree image hosting
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by Sawyer »

Wow thats a big golden shiner" When did the Tench fish show up in Champlain?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by C-Hawk »

OK, time to fill us in about tench fish . This is the first time that I have ever seen a picture of one. Are they an invasive? What are they related to ? How and where do you catch them? How did they get their name?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Wow thats a big golden shiner" When did the Tench fish show up in Champlain?
we landed bigger golden shiners than that but didnt take pics. one was about a 1 lb and 1/2 unbeleivable. havent caught a small one there yet. somewhere around 2007 they escaped from a fish farm in ontario according to the dec in ny and made their way down to champlain soon after. in fact the dec was very surprised when i caught one in 2007. lots of them now and they compete for food with the bullhead and like clay bottoms. they are and interesting fish and strong and can also cure other fish just by rubbing up against them. doctors fish. im assuming they were being used for medecine.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Leave it to you and Wayne to catch trophy sized bait...lol. Looking forward to the fall River reports
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

The tench or doctor fish (Tinca tinca) is a fresh- and brackish-water fish of the cyprinid family found throughout Eurasia from Western Europe including the British Isles east into Asia as far as the Ob and Yenisei Rivers. It is also found in Lake Baikal.