fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by fishy1 »

Registered Kayak wrote:I'm not sure on the regs for NY, I'll look at them but a couple friends are really interested in havesting TENCH only with a bow, do you folks think it would be easy enough for a day trip down there?
actually mark its almost across from burlington. if you took the ferry over you would be at the creeks either way in 15 minutes or so.
fishy1

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins and pan fish raz added a video on page 19 today.

Post by fishy1 »

9/11/2016 decided to fish close to home this morning in a spot where i usually fish later in the fall. was supposed to bring a freinds boy with me but a thunderstorm early canceled it. started fishing at 7 am with 2 bottom worm rods. tossed one out in the channel and one in 5 fow. the channel rod had a real strong current and was rolling my sinker but the yellow perch were stopping it and were very aggressive. for the next 2 hours i landed yellows and whites steady. the rod in 5 fow landed a few small yellows and some sunnies. fished until 10:30 am . kept 26 nice yellow perch and 10 white perch for filleting. released lots of small yellows. saw some sheephead but no takers . a fisherman about 20 yards from me said he saw a huge fish in the weeds that was an easy 20 lbs plus. he said it was brown so im guessing it was a carp. it was moving the weeds so it was probably feeding on zebra mussels which are in huge supply there.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/12/2016 went back this morning in that same area as sunday. fished 2 worm rods on bottom for awhile but the pan fish were so aggressive could only handle 1. lots of yellow perch and some whites. around 8:30 am had a real soft bite but it turned out to be a good size sheephead. fished until 10 am with almost a bite every cast. kept 47 yellows 16 whites 2 bass for filleting. lots of sorting this morning but lots of action. had plenty of company also with 9 boats anchored out in front of me and 4 shore fisherman . they didnt seem to do as well dont know why. will down load a pic of 1 of the 5 sheephead i caught also. :DImageimage upload no ads
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/12/2016 i forgot to mention that i saw my ist bait ball ist hand this morning and not on a fish finder. i was just startled when the came up out of 6 fow and and swam right by me. they were in a very tight group and i could see them in the clear water from top to bottom and approx 8 to 10 feet wide. was to slow with the camera getting it out of my pocket. i have never seen this live before . they looked like alewifes or they could have been small white perch. dont know if alewifes would be this far south now. im fishing near the lake champlain bridge in crown point. i wouldnt even dare guess how many were in that bait ball. if i fish over there tommorrow camera will be ready. :o
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

i hope you get a pic it would be cool to see them.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I wouldn't be surprised if they were baby crappie.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I was watching cormorants surface with small baitfish in their beaks on Saturday ,sometimes more than one, and swallow them . There was nothing on the screen deep , so they must have been just sub-surface. The Sea gulls would hang around waiting for them to surface and try stealing a fish or two, but sometimes it almost seemed like the cormorants were feeding them intentionally. I followed them for a while and watched with binoculars and I figured it must have been alewives.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/13/2016 very windy this morning and didnt see any bait balls at all. started fishing with 1 worm rod at 6:45 am and the yellow perch action was non stop until i left at 10:15 am selected one size for filleting 8 inch everything under or over went back to the water. landed lots of yellows and some big sunnies 3 small sheephead and 4 small bass. kept 36 yellow perch for filleting. was ready all morning with my camera but bait balls were a no show plus it was windy.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Fishy you have ben having good luck or as i say (good skill) all summer. How is this summers fishing compared to past years? All so do you keep records of your days catch if so it would be interesting to see your summer tally.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Fishy you have ben having good luck or as i say (good skill) all summer. How is this summers fishing compared to past years? All so do you keep records of your days catch if so it would be interesting to see your summer tally.
i have past records but now all of my records are on here. i post every time i fish and this is better than my fish book. all i have to do is print my post and there it is . fishing rods with worms is a no brainer for me as there is a huge supply of fish it seems every where i fish down here in our area. sometimes i have to use different methods to catch them but i will know the ist half hour if their aggressive. knowing where they feed and what their feeding on also helps. if i looked back in my book i would think this year is about the same as every year for panfish . the two exceptions this year is more eels and lots more of small bass. dont think i ever caught that many bass ever. there were days when i couldnt keep them off my lines and was catching bass in the 20,s. my summer tally would be inaccurate on here because i only kept track of what i kept . i release lots of fish as far as pan fish. all other fish should be accurate. im guessing this morning i landed over 100 pan fish but only kept 36 8 inch yellows.
one thing i have failed to mention in my posts is when i find a school of fish that are aggressive i pound that same spot everytime to keep them there and i take my fish off as quickly as possible and get my sinker and worm right back to the same spot.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Finally got a moment to get on here and read your post Matty. Awesome and thanks for sharing. I have drove by the Bay this week twice and have seen hundreds and I mean hundreds of what I'm assuming cormorants and seagulls. All flocked together and churning that water up where it looks like a school of piranha below them. I have never in my life seen so many at once!!!! What are they feeding on?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Targa V18 wrote:Finally got a moment to get on here and read your post Matty. Awesome and thanks for sharing. I have drove by the Bay this week twice and have seen hundreds and I mean hundreds of what I'm assuming cormorants and seagulls. All flocked together and churning that water up where it looks like a school of piranha below them. I have never in my life seen so many at once!!!! What are they feeding on?
our yellow perch thats why winter fishing in bullwagga is dead. this happens every spring and every fall. :(
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I have seen them out in front of sandy beach numerous times this year like that.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/14/2016 got over to the lake at 6:30 am and fished a little different spot near a weed line and 4 fow. not to far from where i been fishing though. i would see right away if it was holding fish and it was non stop action for sunnies. mostly 7 and 8 inch bluegills with some pumpkinseeds mixed in. fished in that spot for 2 hours and landed a fish almost every cast. kept plenty to fillet since they were so big and decided to move and cast out in the deeper water for whites yellows and sheephead. the bite there was good also but lots of small yellows and whites. approx 10 am saw a huge bait ball quickly grabbed the camera took a pic. my short rod was going crazy and i couldnt hook the fish. after around 5 minutes or so i finally caught 1 and found out what kind of fish the bait ball was WHITE PERCH. took a pic and released it. checked my pic of the bait ball and it was dark and couldnt see the fish because of the waves and darkness. at least now i know what the bait ball was i had been seeing. after i landed that 1 they dissapeared. had a good morning fishing and some good eating sunnies to fillet. left the lake at 11 am.
here is a pic of the little white perch in that bait ball.Imageimage hosting without account
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

9/17/2016 headed down to the lake this morning for some sheephead action. my plan was to use one worm rod with a 1/2 ounce sinker and drag bottom in 5 to 20 fow. started fishing at 6:45 am until 9:30 am with no takers. lots of white perch and 3 big yellows. released all fish. i did have one big fish stop me but it just shook me off. might of been a sheephead but ill never know.