fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins updated 10/20/2016

Post by fishy1 »

10/20/2016 didnt fish the rivers today stayed close to home and fished for pan fish especially yellow perch. started fishing at 7 am and the bite was strong until i left at 11 am. they were nice yellows and some nice whites mixed in and some jumbo bluegills. i was fishing 4 to 15 fow. got the bigger yellows dragging bottom but all yellows were 8 to 10 inches some smaller ones were caught just before i was leaving . just got done filleting them i had 57 yellows 9 whites and 7 bluegills . the big surprise was when i got done cleaning them most were males which is not the norm for me and where i was fishing.
here is a pic of the yellows at 10 am.Imageupload a gif
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Re: fishing for catfish and bowfins + pan fish updated 10/20/2016

Post by jimbow »

Nice mess of fish...tasty!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/24/2016 stayed close to home today searching for yellow perch. was supposed to be windy so i decided to find a spot a little out of the wind and holds zebra mussels. finally decided on a spot i havent fished on shore in a couple of years. after walking a short while started fishing at 7:20 am. the bite was slow so i started dragging bottomand ist time landed a nice yellow. the surprise was they were in 3 fow and nothing out in the 12 fow. so i brought my other rod in and set it on bottom in the 3 fow. the bite was steady and i landed plenty of yellow perch and 5 bass. i left at 10:45 am with a nice bag of yellows that i filleted 39 . i released probably another 20 under 8 inches.. released all 5 bass. lots are wondering about the yellows being so shallow but they come in out of the channels to feed on zebra mussels could go back tommorrow and catch none in the same spot. have seen in many times. sometimes it isnt worth the walk but today it was.
here is a pic.Imagehow to take screenshots
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

nice looking yellows fishy
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/25/2016 went over to do some perch fishing this morning but the west wind held me to one hour of fishing. it was cold on the hands and i couldnt get out of it at all. the landowner called and said to come up for coffee and i did. i didnt go back the coffee sure hit the spot instead i grabbed my rifle out of the truck and hunted whitetails on his land. no deer but i still had 16 nice yellows to fillet . i did see a doe with her 2 fawns.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Nice catch of perch both times! Lotta work to get the fillet's but perch are hard to beat when it comes to tasty fish.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Nice catch of perch both times! Lotta work to get the fillet's but perch are hard to beat when it comes to tasty fish.
thanks. perch are easy to fillet and not much work and are very tasty. i give most away to family and freinds since i usually catch a meal most every time i go.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

back to pan fishing today with the steady rain this morning as i been hunting deer in the high peaks for 2 days. fished under the crown point pier in the steady rain yellows were on fire at daylight just drop down and pull up . then after 8:30 am they dropped off but still caught some, not overly big but good eating size. kept 27 8 and 8 and 1/2 inchers for a freind. released at least another 27 back . :)