downrigger line

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Tracker
Species: all

downrigger line

Post by Tracker »

I am thinking about trying braided 200lb downrigger line instead of steel cable good or bad? Anybody tryed it and liked it or is it a waste of time and money? please give your opinion. Thanks in advance.
Kevin :?:
Sea Hare
Species: all species

Re: downrigger line

Post by Sea Hare »

I tried the Cabelas braided kevlar downrigger cable. I switched primarily to avoid the kinks in the steel and to eliminate the " singing " that you get with steel cable. It is smaller in diameter than steel and the issue I had was that my Rhoemer releases would not lock down on the smaller diameter cable and I had to pinch on a split shot above the release to prevent it from crawling up the cable when I loaded the downrigger rod. I had Big Ben order two sets of new steel cable for my Big Jons and I'm back in business. I have the singing back on the cables, but I can deal with it. Hope this helps ..

BB ( Jon )
:D
It's not just a unit of measure !
Sugarpie
Species: All the ones that are hungry!

Post by Sugarpie »

We tried it last year. First outing lost ball, release, etc and we never hit bottom or went through areas we were familiar with. I don't know if the cable hit a log submerged or what, but there was a "release". When we started pulling the rigger up everything was gone :o we switched back to wire that night.
To fish or not to fish... NOT TO FISH??? Like that's even a question!!!!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Stuff is strong, but will cut with a knife edge pretty quickly... I'll stick with Cable.
Matt B
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Many people swear by thr braid; but I never have built up the confidence in it and I have stuck with stainless steel cable. After reading Sugarpie's reply and some others, I think I will not be switching anytime soon.

I also use a rubber snubber between my cable and ball and it helps me to avoid getting hung up when bouncing the bottom. I also believe the snubber reduces singing of my cables, especially when I am 90 to 125 ft. down. I personally like the snubbers sold by Big Jon over the Scotty snubbers too.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

I had braid on one of my riggers once and it SUCKED! The releases didnt catch on it and the quality didnt really keep up prompting a need to replace quickly. Cable all the way.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Tracker
Species: all

Post by Tracker »

Thanks everyone I will stick with cable :)