Smoked frozen Salmon/Trout recipe, please?

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Smoked frozen Salmon/Trout recipe, please?

Post by Ahhspray »

I'm looking for an easy recipe for smoking salmon/trout that has been cleaned and frozen fresh with the skin on.

Is it possible to still get a good quality if the fish has been frozen?
Do I need specialized equipment?
I understand that some folks cold-smoke and some hot-smoke, cold smoking apparently makes for longer(?) storage, I'm told, is this true?
What methods do you all prefer, I've got fish in the freezer that my wife says they have to go.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Smoked frozen Salmon/Trout recipe, please?

Post by Reelax »

http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... ?f=5&t=819

There are more examples like this in the recipe section....

Take a peek...
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I make my brine similar to the above, 1qt.,luke warm water, 1/4 cup Kosher salt, 3/4 cup molases, 6 shakes tobasco, 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Last few times I have used a little bit of brown sugar as well. Combine and pour over fillets in a bowl, making sure they are completely covered. Refrigerate for 24 hrs. or 36 for thicker cuts,( lake trout?) .Hot smoke for 3-4 hours, using green apple wood . I always remove the skin, but a friend leaves his on and peels it off when getting ready to eat. You won't need to worry about how long it will keep because it will be gone. It will keep 3 weeks refrigerated. I don't think it makes any difference wether the fish is frozen or fresh, most people can't tell the difference between lake trout and salmon.
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

Thanks for the link Reelax. I can't wait to try Heijac's recipe.
I'll have to do a taste test with your variation too C-Hawk. Thanks
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Another thing that I have been doing when I smoke Lakers, is to rub them down with lemon juice, let it soak in for a while and then rub it off with a paper towel before I marinate. I think this helps to remove some of the grease and fishyness
Ahhspray

Post by Ahhspray »

C-Hawk wrote:Another thing that I have been doing when I smoke Lakers, is to rub them down with lemon juice, let it soak in for a while and then rub it off with a paper towel before I marinate. I think this helps to remove some of the grease and fishyness
Thanks for that tip C-Hawk. These happen to be 18-20" rainbows.