fishing update trout pond my ist kokanee/brown ever

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing update trout ponds 2016

Post by fishy1 »

Targa V18 wrote:
fishy1 wrote:5/15/2016 went up to a trout pond this morning that holds browns and brookies. arrived at 6:15 am with a very gusty wind and a little rain that soon turned into snow sleet and a mixture. had to go around the other side of the pond to get a little out of the wind. set 2 bobber rigs out and landed a nice 12 inch brook trout within a half hour. then nothing and i was getting very wet so i decided to try another couple of ponds. the 2nd pond holds rainbows and brookies and when i arrived someone was camping where i fish so headed for my 3rd option on a bushwhack trail that holds brookies. got back in there at 10:15 am and fished the west side since it was mostly a west wind. i had to use two bobber rigs because this pond holds some small bullhead. before i even got my 2nd rod out bobber down and i landed a nice 11 inch brookie. then from that point on until 12:30 pm i landed 25 brookies mostly 7 to 9 inches. kept 3 nice brookies for dinner.
Nice post!!!!! I haven't fished a brookie in about 20 yrs. I kinda miss going back into the ponds and doing a little fishing.
your always welcome to join me jimmer anytime.

upload a picture
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

very nice!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/16/2016 wayne joined me today for what was supposed to be a pond with brookies and browns. where we were headed was snow and 20 mph winds so we decided to hit a little pond about .5 miles in with just brookies and try and get out of the wind and snow. where we met this morning we had to travel another 23 miles south to this little pond. arrived in the pond at 7:30 am and threw out my ist rod and fish on and then another and another. i landed 3 brookies before wayne even got his ist rod out. they were just hitting just as soon as the dillie hit the water. i landed 8 brookies before i even got to set my 2nd rod out. wayne moved over on a little ledge on my left. was awhile before he got bites but when they started wow did he every get them many times both bobbers down at the same time. then my rod went slack for awhile and would get bites on occasion. this went on all morning. we left at 1:30 pm and wayne landed 31 brookies and i landed 25. all were from 5 inches to 10 and 1/2 inches. we both were losing our voices we said bobber down so many times. we had a blast although it was windy and cold. i wore gloves most of the morning and my hood over my head. wayne had one bobber down that reeled off about 15 feet of slack doubled the rod over and wayne was close to losing his rod. would have liked to see that fish. wayne saw some bigger brookies cruising the surface. going to try another pond with those browns and brookie tommorrow weather permitting. everything was white there this morning including the roads. :o all were released except for 3 for waynes wife dinner.
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon May 16, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

You are slamming those Brookies Matt!
blackfly
Species: all

Post by blackfly »

HAD A GREAT DAY FISHING WITH MATT TODAY MY FACE STILL HURTS FROM LAUGHING AND SAYING BOBBER DOWN AND FISH ON
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/17/2016 wayne joined me again this morning and we got to fish that location we couldnt monday because of the stiff wind and snow. we got there approx. 6:50 am with the wind light. this body of water holds browns and brookies . started out with a bobber rod and a sinker rod but soon went to both sinkers since our bobbers were drifting to much and i got stuck twice with trees in the water. before wayne even got his ist rod out i had a serious run on the sinker it was just peeling off the line very fast. closed my bail and fish on and a big one. got it up off bottom and it shook loose. very dissapointed as i was sure it was a brown. threw it back out and about 2 minutes later it took off again wildly closed the bail and fish on landed a nice 14 inch brookie. wayne had both his rods out there now but no runs. then approx and hour later had a serious run and missed it and it swiped the whole dillie. threw it out again and maybe ten minutes later my rod bounced wildly and my line was just peeling off the reel. i closed the bail after a while and said fish on to wayne i guess i then said what the heck is it . what a fighter thinking brown all the way when i finally saw it a good size brookie was on my line. wow then it got exciting as we had no net and we were up a little . i had to bring it over in front of wayne since it would have been easier but that brookie was busting water like no tommorrow so i said to myself here i go raised the rod high and lifted the fish right out of the water and right over waynes head not missing him by much. the brookie was deeply hooked so i guess i made the right move. wayne and i were very excited and we gave each other high fives. i just landed a 17 and a half inch brookie with great colors that weighed almost 1 and 3/4 lbs. fished until noon with 2 more runs and no takers wayne only had 2 short runs in which one he didnt even see but it cleaned his dillie. landed 2 good size brookies today so that was a great day. its waynes turn next time.
here is a pic of the 17 inch plus brookie.
image hosting over 2mb

here is a pic of the 17 incher.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

That is awesome!!!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:That is awesome!!!
thanks despite the weather we have done well with the brookies.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Have you opened up any of those pond brookies to see what they've been eating?
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Great catch Matt looks like you and Wayne have been having a blast. I hope to have half as much success when I go out pond fishing on Friday.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Windknot wrote:Great catch Matt looks like you and Wayne have been having a blast. I hope to have half as much success when I go out pond fishing on Friday.
good luck friday. go get them.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Bearcat wrote:Have you opened up any of those pond brookies to see what they've been eating?
i only cleaned the 17 incher yesterday it had a 2 big minnows and 2 salamanders in it. the few we keep i give to wayne for his wife .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/18/2016 went back up to the pond we did well yesterday but fished farthur up and deeper water to try and get some of those browns in there. i got there at 6:20 am and wayne was supposed to arrive at 9 am. i got one bobber down and landed a 9 inch brookie when wayne arrived 2 and half hours later. wayne set up with 2 bottom rigs and he wasnt there 5 minutes and his right rod started bending and his line peeling off the reel. wayne closed the bail set the hook and nothing but a bare hook a bait robber. threw back out and its wasnt long he had another run only to miss this one also both strong runs. i told wayne im going to walk down and try that area where i got the brookies yesterday and i did. threw the bobber out ist and soon it was swimming out in the middle of the pond with fish on only have the line snag on something on the bottom. finally shook it loose and the fish came off. then i heard wayne holler and it looked like he was struggling to land a fish so i hurried and head down there . yelled at him to try an open his trunk so i could grab one of his nets but he was to far away. so i got there and he just landed the fish a nice 18 inch brown. not a very nice place to land a fish without a net. wayne said the line went slack and was just moving up and down a little and really didnt know if it was a fish or not . when he set the hook finally after winding in the slack the brown was on shore where i had just left about 25 feet from wayne. we fished until 1:15 pm and i had 2 more hits and wayne 3 or 4. not a good day but a fun day as wayne landed what we were targeting today as we both like to catch browns and eat them. Image
pic upload
here is wayne with his 18 inch brown.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Matt, nice to read your almost daily reports. Helps us go through a working day.
Nice pics too. Keep them coming.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Just got a chance to catch up on here a bit. Nice looking fish. Congrats to you both.