Steelheads in October & November

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Steelheads in October & November

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I just read that article on Fish Doctor website. Interesting observations about cormorants and steelhead

I may give a try sometimes in October
Fall Lake Ontario Steelhead Charters
Some of our Fish Doctor anglers remember the fantastic fall steelhead fishing they enjoyed a few years back with Capt. Ernie in October and November just off the mouth of the Big Salmon River. We stopped fishing steelhead when the population crashed because of predation on stocked yearling steelhead by cormorants.

All of that has changed, and the steelhead population and fishing for them has rebounded because cormorants are now feeding mostly on gobies in recent, according to NYSDEC studies. We no longer see the high incidence of cormorant scars on the steelhead we catch, as well as the brown trout. Fishing for steelhead the past few years in the Big Salmon River and Lake Ontario has been some of the best ever.

This fall we’ll be showing our Fish Doctor anglers this outstanding ultralight tackle trolling for steelhead from midOctober to midNovember. We’ll be doing 6-hour charters from 7:00 AM to 1:00 PM, dock to dock. If you’re interested in booking a fall steelhead trip on the lake, you know what to do! Email us at info@fishdoctorcharters.com or phone us at 315-963-8403
digitroll (ron)

Re: Steelheads in October & November

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Andre,

De Ja Vu!!! I was just going to start a thread about maybe us trying are own experiment in front of the Winooski river the next 4-6 weeks after reading Ernie's late Fall Steelhead success in front of the Salmon river. It's interesting not all the fish run up the river and statistically there were 1/3 steehead trapped at the winooski dam. That is significant data from last Fall. The question is similar to Ernie's discovery would we see some steelhead at the drop-off in front of the Winooski in the next 4-6 weeks? Wind is a factor as we all know.

R
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:Andre,

De Ja Vu!!! I was just going to start a thread about maybe us trying are own experiment in front of the Winooski river the next 4-6 weeks after reading Ernie's late Fall Steelhead success in front of the Salmon river. It's interesting not all the fish run up the river and statistically there were 1/3 steehead trapped at the winooski dam. That is significant data from last Fall. The question is similar to Ernie's discovery would we see some steelhead at the drop-off in front of the Winooski in the next 4-6 weeks? Wind is a factor as we all know.

R
Some of them are already in the Winooski, I landed one today. Might want to hurry! :D
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

No hurry Matt. It seems October and November are better over there for lake steelis. September can be a slow month for the lake fisherman here. It's a work in progress. Looking at my fishing log I have been out twice in 3 months on the Digitroll.
champlain fisher
Species: salmonoids

Post by champlain fisher »

late October and November is prime time for some steel in the streams out there. A big steelie in the tribs is hard to beat. Having them just about pull you in the river on the hookset and first run is something everyone should try.
Salmon, the other pink meat.