Need some help! Can't buy a fish...

Share info on fishing Champlain.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Need some help! Can't buy a fish...

Post by pfu »

This year has not been good for me personally as I have thrown everything but the kitchen sink and can't seem to buy a fish.  We have been out at least a dozen times and are trying the things everyone else is using to catch fish with no success.  We cannot catch more than two fish on any one trip and we are ready to give up.

Now for my real problem.  I am scheduled to entertain four business partners from out of state on Thursday afternoon who just want to catch anything as they have followed reports and are very interested in learning more about our great lake.  My boat is located in Colchester so i can't travel down to the south end where everyone is having success.  Can anyone suggest a place I might put them on fish (lakers are fine) so their out of state license fees are truly valued?

I have the necessary gear and tools of the trade but for some reason can't find the fish.  Any tips (almost ready to find a charter) is greatly appreciated!    
Black Ghost (Ken)
Species: Salmon et al

Re: Need some help! Can't buy a fish...

Post by Black Ghost (Ken) »

If you can get through the sand bar - i didn't do too bad on the inland sea last Wednesday. we had the most hits off the cowbanks and back towards the launch.

Also we did okay off Burlington on Saturday. Mostly off the green/orange can at the mouth of Shelburne Bay.
Black Ghost (Ken)
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

PFU - we trolled the break off the Winooski delta up to Colchester reef on Sunday for about 4 hours. I don't remember how many lakers we caught, but it was quite a few. 20-30 down over 60-100 fow, yellow/green, behind blades or clean, didn't seem to matter. They were gorging on large alewives as even the small fish were spitting up 6" bait. Good luck.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

MarknFish (Mark) wrote:PFU - we trolled the break off the Winooski delta up to Colchester reef on Sunday for about 4 hours. I don't remember how many lakers we caught, but it was quite a few. 20-30 down over 60-100 fow, yellow/green, behind blades or clean, didn't seem to matter. They were gorging on large alewives as even the small fish were spitting up 6" bait. Good luck.
I would also try the Winooski delta if your confined to the area around Colchester. Outside the breakwater and over towards Shelburne Bay may also produce some salmon/lakers if you can make the run.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
pfu

Post by pfu »

OK so now I have heard from the experts and the ball in court is back to me. I will do my best to not let you guys down!
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

I think the Winooski delta is a good bet but with the warm wheather this week I would try a little deeper maybe 30 to 40 feet down.and if that doesn't work I have some opening THURS AND FRIDAY
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

As previously stated, Colchester Reef is loaded with lakers. I may be out tomorrow afternoon in that area. Do you have a radio and if so what is your ride. If I see you I'll give a shout out on 68
pfu

Post by pfu »

I will have the radio on 68 (hoping we are too busy reeling versus chatting). My boat is known as the DebbaDoo!
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

Pfu,

I won't see you out there today. I am going to an open house for one of the boys. I wish you luck and I will see you at the dock.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I did a quick run this morning, was debating on Winooski Delta, or mouth of Shelburne Bay. Went to the bay, as it was closer and I only had a couple hours. Rods in the water about 6:15, and out of the water by 8:45, had 2 decent lakers, and 4 releases with no one home, down 20 and 30. Hits were over 40 - 60' of water. Sausage Gravy took the 2 lakers. Marked plenty of bait off Red Rocks about 40' down.

I was running about 2.5 GPS, tried long leads and close, what was hitting for me was about 20' off the ball.

Good luck.
________
Mike
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I'll probably post a report up in the reports section later. I spent a few hours in the Northern Inland Sea today.
2 for 3 on Salmon, and one nice brown. The salmon hit copper/orange MP6 honeybees and the brown hit a mottled green mp6 honeybee.
Mainland/Georgia shore side. Ran up to Ladd point to check it out, blank screen, no hits, but only gave it about 45 minutes.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
pfu

Post by pfu »

Went out htis afternoon and was very surprised ot see how rough it was. Actually crossed over to NY and gave it a try. Three good fish on but all got away. Determined not to give up.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas!