fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

10/18/2019 lost my internet this week just got back after spectrum put in a updated router . i was bored for 4 days. tuesday i went up north for some frostbite shore fishing and had on a blue streak krocodile which has performed well. but on this day i had 0 hits and saw several lakers cruise the shore line. i went up to the suv and got out alayna,s own color design that she sent ot honey bee lures and they sent 2 of each color she drew on paper to test. well this one did no dissapoint. on my 7th cast i have a freight train hit and fish on i land a smallish laker but a good fighter with 2 lampreys attached landed it and took care of the lampreys and kept the laker for wayne to eat. then about 10 minutes later another freight train hit and it shakes loose. then in was time for me to leave and do some pheasant hunting i have another freight train hit and fish on i land a decent size laker and a good fight . alayna, color scheme is defintly going to be a hit i liked it when she drew it. now to test it in the rivers. one more thing i tie direct and there is no o ring on this and the action is unreal.

fishy1

Re: fishing for salmon and browns near home on shore added pics of spawning salmon right at my feet 11/26

Post by fishy1 »

10/19/2019 headed up north this morning for some frostbite shore fishing and would join eric and jason would come down later. started slow for me with eric already there and he had no hits. with waves were really getting big so i went up to the suv and put on a 3/8 ounce krocodile blue streak. my plan was to experiment again by reeling and jerking my rod just a little at the same time. it failed earlier in the week but i was determined to make these fish aggressive even when not feeding. well eric had to go and do some work on house and it wasnt much after i have a freight train hit and what a battle and i have to go a distance around to land it because of my leg. what a hit and what a fight kept this one for wayne for dinner. then awhile later another freight train hit and fish on and another terrific battle and i land a decent size laker maybe 7 lbs took my phone out to take a pic but it didnt want no part of that and it bit me ouch shook loose and i pushed it in deeper water to fight again. so far my experiment is working then after awhile 2 more freight train hits and noone home. then jason showed up and it wasnt long freight train hit and fish on i land a small laker but a stubborn one and a pretty good fighter eric just came back and unhooked it for me and way it went. jason had a follow but wouldnt commit. i kept going back and forth to the suv to rest my leg so i couldnt really cast that long periods of time. went back down and jason had a hit and it unhooked in seconds ugh. then i have a follow and another hit with noone home. i ended up 3 for 6 i think and my experiment worked great on this day and the best part was when they hit on that little bit of quick movement they slammed the lure and the fight was great. might try this again when i go again.

Imagepichost
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/21/2019 had a long time freind of 66 years join me today for some pheasant hunting and frostbite shore fishing. started out great as norm got a hen pheasant and then we headed to the lake. lake was thick fog and still and eric was already there and was 1 for 2 on a fly rod. i had one follow and norm caught a bass the ist 1/2 hour and that was it. so i went to the suv and tried to find some thing new and i did jimmer (targav18) painted me 2 krocs 1 brown trout and 1 purple people eater trout pattern. within the next half hour i have 4 hits and with the brown trout losing 2 and getting broke off by one. ugh. never got broke off there with my 12 lb trilene big game and there goes my brown trout kroc which krocodile doesnt make. the lakers were hitting like freight trains and fighting so hard so much fun casting from shore. i put on the purple people eater kroc and 4 th cast fish on lost it and another hit lost that one also. then i have a thundering hit and bouncing my rod wildly and fish on and a big one and it shakes loose . ugh. dont think these trebles are going to work out to small maybe for salmon but they dont seem to be holding for lakers. i was 0 for 6 eric was 2 for 4 on a fly rod and norm 1 bass. lakers are in the spawning mood and on fire we also had several follows but the water was calm and clear and they would spook. it was great fishing with and hunting with my long time freind norm. short note eric caught more after i left.Image
Last edited by fishy1 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You can't beat a combo hunting and fishing day with old friends and the new ones. Keep the reports coming Matt.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/22/2019 headed back up north for some pheasant hunting and frostbite shore fishing. no pheasants. got to the lake around 9 am with justin and eric already there with only 1 hit and very windy . south wind blowing right in on us making it a difficult landing fish. started slow and eric and justin headed to a river to get out of the wind i stayed as these kind of conditions can bring in some bigger lakers. had a few hits but noone home the wind was whipping my line in a big bow so i needed to adjust . some time around 10:30 am i was letting my lure fall to the bottom way out and as soon as it hit bottom i started to reel and my rod doubled over like i was stuck but i wasnt fish on and a big one heading south .well ill have to fight the wind 3 foot waves and the fish. it was all over the place with my drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing and a long ways out . kept pressure on it and hoping to at least get a look at it. after about 10 minutes or so i finally see it its a chunky female laker. then i have to get it another 50 feet or so because im limited with my leg but it worked . wow what a beautiful laker and fat. it had the lure engulfed right down in its gills so i had to keep it. ugh. the lure must have landed right in its mouth on bottom. then the very next cast freight train hit and fish on and a fighter i land approx a 25 inch plus male laker . next cast another freight train hit and i land another 25 inch plus laker amazin the bite was on. it didnt stop there either from 11:15 am to 12: 20 pm i land 3 more nice ones . so much fun trying to get them to a spot where i can unhook them in the big waves . landed 6 and lost 4 in those conditions not bad. i didnt count the hit just the ones i hooked 6 for 10.
Imageimage hostImageImageupload a jpg
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your report Matt. Another great fishing story to share.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/23/2019 headed up north this morning for some pheasant hunting and frostbite shore fishing although it was 61 degrees but very foggy. i got real lucky as a big rooster ran across the dirt road into another hedge row. parked my vehicl walked about 40 yards or so and it flew on the other side so no shot but there were 2 another ran out in the field and try to run back in but it didnt make it i got a nice clean shot. wow and a big one also. then i went shore fishing with clam waters and very thick fog had a hit right away noone home. then eric joined me and the bite was slow. i had 4 hits lost 2 but headed home after awhile as my leg was acting up and sore. ugh. tommorrow i get another injection then next week there going to do 2 ct scans and some more lab work. i cant wait till my leg gets better.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishy1:

Good luck with your treatments hope that leg feels better soon./ jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:fishy1:

Good luck with your treatments hope that leg feels better soon./ jim
thank you jim going to start taking some pills today and then more lab work next week a bone scan and a ct scan
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

We all hope your treatment goes well and you are back out fishing soon. You truly are a master at this shore fishing game. I took your advice and tried Button Bay point yesterday. No lakers or salmon but I did catch a 32" and 30" pike on a mackerel colored krockodile and a 22" smallmouth. I did have two massive hits just at the end of my cast as I was letting the spoon sink to the bottom. I have no idea what they were but they were freight train hits for sure! Thanks again!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sacospinner wrote:We all hope your treatment goes well and you are back out fishing soon. You truly are a master at this shore fishing game. I took your advice and tried Button Bay point yesterday. No lakers or salmon but I did catch a 32" and 30" pike on a mackerel colored krockodile and a 22" smallmouth. I did have two massive hits just at the end of my cast as I was letting the spoon sink to the bottom. I have no idea what they were but they were freight train hits for sure! Thanks again!
i was over that way today they wouldnt let us drive down there for some reason. went to basin harbor small mouth one after another then my leg acted up and had to go home. did you drive down in?
Sacospinner

Post by Sacospinner »

No, I parked at the gate and walked. It was about a mile from the parking lot to point. No lakers at basin harbor either? I've tried at least 15 different spots on the VT side and have not yet found lakers near shore.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sacospinner wrote:No, I parked at the gate and walked. It was about a mile from the parking lot to point. No lakers at basin harbor either? I've tried at least 15 different spots on the VT side and have not yet found lakers near shore.
they should be in close near burlington now and the causeway at mallets.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/25/2019 headed across the big one to meet up with eric for some frostbite shore fishing. ist spot before eric got there its cast a smallie and before he even got there i was 5 for 5 and another one when he came. 6 for 6 so we decided to hit another spot with no success then my leg was acting up and told eric i needed to go home and havent left the house since ugh.Image